muscovy losing feathers/wet feather

binji

Chirping
Jul 2, 2016
my drakes both have wet feather which im assuming is because of feather damage incurred over the winter, so im hoping when they molt in new ones it will fix itself. their oil glands are still producing, so i really do think it's just feather damage.
but one of my drakes is missing patches of feathers along his chest and sides? is it normal for them to molt at this time of the year? i think he has a couple new feathers coming in but its been slow
can i do anything about it?

It's not normal here for Muscovy's to molt this time of year. Mine molt in fall usually Oct.

Try adding some good quality cat kibble or dog kibble to their diet. With good protein in it feathers are protein. Do they have water to bathe in another good way to get them to preen and keep their feathers in good shape. What are you feeding them?

I had a few of my older Muscovy's get wet feather it always came mid-late summer and once they molted their feathers were fine.

theyre getting southern states poultry feed right now which has 18% protein i think and they have constant access to a pool. they forage as well, but ill try to add in dog food more regularly

Worth a try. Have you checked them for mites? Haven't ever seen any on any of my water fowl and they usually water fowl don't get them if they have a constant access to water so that probably isn't the problem either just going through a check list.

i dont think they do but i have been spraying them with mite spray these past couple of days just in case

im following the instructions on the bottle so it should be fine
do you have any idea what could be causing this though? theyre healthy and active otherwise

Back
Top Bottom