Muscovy sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Batty about Banties, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    I am not sure how long she has been sitting but in the last couple days I havent noticed her coming out to eat or get water. Does this mean its getting close to them hatching? Should I put water and food near her?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:that would be up to you, you might offer her food and water and not leave it in there or you'll probably have soaked bedding from all the water. When the ducklings hatch they won't need to eat for 24 to 36 hrs. then she'll take them to the food. I would put it close enough that she doesn't have to take them far. Looking forward to hearing about the hatch, and don't forget the pics!!

3. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Quote:that would be up to you, you might offer her food and water and not leave it in there or you'll probably have soaked bedding from all the water. When the ducklings hatch they won't need to eat for 24 to 36 hrs. then she'll take them to the food. I would put it close enough that she doesn't have to take them far. Looking forward to hearing about the hatch, and don't forget the pics!!

I put some water in there and some food. She was excited to eat. How long should I expect to see babies? Isn't it too late in the year for her to try and hatch though? Will the babies get cold?

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have had muscovy ducks I thought were coon food. I litteraly didn't see them for weeks. They come out when they need to, they eat when they need to, and those babies will come out with mom when they are ready. I would just leave well enough alone. Muscovy are wonderful mothers.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

I put some water in there and some food. She was excited to eat. How long should I expect to see babies? Isn't it too late in the year for her to try and hatch though? Will the babies get cold?

Them mamas wear [down] like in coats. the ducklings won't be cold they will be tough lil healthy babies, mama will know right when they need to eat, drink and get warm. It takes Muscovy 35 days to hatch.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Only a few days? She is no where near hatching. She will come off for food and water when she is ready. Trust me, they are excellent mothers. Lots of women/men should take lessons from them. As far as cold, where do u live?

7. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Only a few days? She is no where near hatching. She will come off for food and water when she is ready. Trust me, they are excellent mothers. Lots of women/men should take lessons from them. As far as cold, where do u live?

I live in Washington State so it doesn't get too cold here I guess compared to other parts. [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I live in Washington State so it doesn't get too cold here I guess compared to other parts. [​IMG]

the ducklings should be fine, mama will take care of them. They do have a shelter to go into don't they?

9. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Quote:I live in Washington State so it doesn't get too cold here I guess compared to other parts. [​IMG]

the ducklings should be fine, mama will take care of them. They do have a shelter to go into don't they?

She's nesting under my laundry room. Should I build her a different shelter or will she continue to take them under there?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:the ducklings should be fine, mama will take care of them. They do have a shelter to go into don't they?

She's nesting under my laundry room. Should I build her a different shelter or will she continue to take them under there?

Only thing I would be concerned about is Predators, especially rats, they will take baby ducklings. either box it in under there so she is safe or make her another place where she can't get out of because she will be upset with you for moving her. But it's for her own good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by