Mushroom foragers

Pics
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I don't have lilacs to gauge things. But my uncle thought ground temp of 50 degrees. He used to find morels in his pasture on his farm all the time. I suppose cleared land with roots underneath. Pushing them up.
Glad for the soakers though. It might just be a good year!

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I don't have lilacs to gauge things. But my uncle thought ground temp of 50 degrees. He used to find morels in his pasture on his farm all the time. I suppose cleared land with roots underneath. Pushing them up.
Glad for the soakers though. It might just be a good year!

50 degrees seems to be the beginning . Someone said at 62 ground temp it is over .
idunno.gif
For me when the trees are half or maybe less leafed out is when I find them . By full leaf it is usually over . That is to say when I can no longer see into the woods from a distance .

I think that's a good range of temps Jerry. I'm not sure I have a good thermometer to take the earth's temp anyways. Although those surface temp thermometers are out there for sale aren't they?

Yes. I also agree that waiting too long you will have the morel hiding under that greenery. Baby leaves. Going with baby leaves/budding is always a signal for me to get out and look.

I think that's a good range of temps Jerry. I'm not sure I have a good thermometer to take the earth's temp anyways. Although those surface temp thermometers are out there for sale aren't they?

Yes. I also agree that waiting too long you will have the morel hiding under that greenery. Baby leaves. Going with baby leaves/budding is always a signal for me to get out and look.

I have used the long incubator probe type . They say 4 inches down is the correct spot to take temps .

I just found this . Might be worth trying in a sawdust pile . I should have plenty of sawdust after milling logs . I tried the kits and no luck . I would only use water from soaking for spores . Too thrifty to use a morel . I have actually had luck pouring the water around dead elm trees .

Back
Top Bottom