Mushroom foragers

Pics
Wondering if these might be honey mushrooms . They are getting old . Spore print same color as gills .
DSCN0724.JPG
DSCN0725.JPG

Last winter I bought a Trumpet Royale mushroom kit. It was doing fine and the mushrooms were very good right up to the point that a fly got in the kit and walked all over it. It was just a couple of days later that mold started growing all over it. I tried cutting out the mold but it just kept coming back and appeared to be killing the Trumpet Royales. I gave up and dug a hole beside a dead stump in the only unfrozen ground I could find and buried the kit. I watched all spring and summer for signs of life but nothing came up. Recently we had some good rains and much cooler weather. I checked the spot a couple of days ago and one mushroom had finally come up. Unfortunately something found the mushroom before I did. I suspect a vole but don't have any way of knowing.

The mushroom was 3 1/4" in diameter.
full

full

Last winter I bought a Trumpet Royale mushroom kit. It was doing fine and the mushrooms were very good right up to the point that a fly got in the kit and walked all over it. It was just a couple of days later that mold started growing all over it. I tried cutting out the mold but it just kept coming back and appeared to be killing the Trumpet Royales. I gave up and dug a hole beside a dead stump in the only unfrozen ground I could find and buried the kit. I watched all spring and summer for signs of life but nothing came up. Recently we had some good rains and much cooler weather. I checked the spot a couple of days ago and one mushroom had finally come up. Unfortunately something found the mushroom before I did. I suspect a vole but don't have any way of knowing.

The mushroom was 3 1/4" in diameter.
full

full
I had planned on getting some oyster and shiitake plugs last yr, saved out some fresh oak logs but never got around to it. Had someone near me say red squirrels ate all theirs. Never gave a thought to critters eating them.

Back
Top Bottom