Mushroom foragers

IMG_0726.JPG

I went foraging today.... I thought I would see if I could find some Juniper berries. I had my doubts as I thought the birds would have them all gone by now. The battery is there to give you a size reference. Not a lot of berries for 2 hours of foraging.

I like Juniper berry tea, my SIL uses it to flavor fish for smoking. I find the tea tastes a lot like "SleepyTime" tea if you have ever had it.

Things I learned about foraging Juniper berries the day after Christmas....

1) The deer flies and Mosquitoes are not as bad as in the fall
2) The berries are pretty picked over by the birds.
3) picking wild blue berries is faster
4) Look for game cameras before you notice it in the tree you are facing while urinating...
5) quickly turning away from a game camera while doing your thing will not prevent the camera from having snapped a picture of your privates,,,,,It will however cause you to wet your pants leg..
6) do not assume you have all male trees in your area just because they have no berries.
7) expect your fingers to become numb and ache upon re-entering a heated building

It was a fun time, I was with my favorite person (myself), The conversation was perfect.

I have never tried to pick berries this lat in the year, however, I was busy prior to this and unable to get out.

I did find the needles less pokey today than in warmer weather. The berries were smaller. I found one branch that was loaded with berries, however they were small and appeared to have froze when still green. They did not pick well so I left them for the birds.

I being a strict Greenie and respecting mans place in the natural order, wrote little signs for our feathered freinds when they returned to find their berries missing...it said..

Tough luck! Get a bigger frontal lobe if you expect to survive!....

Friendly seasonal advice .....

Lots of mushrooms grow here in my area (Southeastern Alabama), but I don't know which are good and which are poisonous, so I don't pick any and eat store-bought mushrooms. They may not be as tasty as the wild ones, but at least they are safe. When I lived in Italy I gathered lots and lots of armillaria mellea, a mushroom that grows in clusters. They were very tasty, but a bit slimy when cooked.
When I lived in Kodiak I picked angel wings. We ate them, but recently I read that they are mildly poisonous. We never had any problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom