Mushroom foragers

Pics
I DO think Sadie is smart. She is so smart that she gets herself in trouble everyday. Which then makes us think she is dumb. At any rate...It would be fun to get a truffle hound wouldn't it?! But I'd have to buy the first one--eek--to train her nose.

I DO think Sadie is smart. She is so smart that she gets herself in trouble everyday. Which then makes us think she is dumb. At any rate...It would be fun to get a truffle hound wouldn't it?! But I'd have to buy the first one--eek--to train her nose.
I thought they used pigs to find truffles .

I thought they used pigs to find truffles .

I did too, I thought it was because:

A) Pigs have better noses than Dogs
B) Pigs are smarter than dogs.

I think it would be possible to train a dog, it is amazing what they can do. I know when training dogs for searching for things they take the ones with high play instincts. MY older dog "Reagan" would be the perfect dog, she would/will play for hours with a ball. I have one of those "guns" that shot a dummy a couple hundred feet, She will chase the dummy to the point she drops.

Her daughter " Pearl the Lazy" Will chase it 2-3 times then give you the " You put it there you go get it look".

A trained Mushroom dog would be so cool, even for morels.

Jerry I think truffle pigs are more newsworthy than a truffle dog.

Sadie is a very ambitious dog. She loves fetching, playing. She is also the easiest trained dog I've ever had. Sit, lay down, roll over, fetch. Finding truffles would help finance her pheasant and duck trips and her mothers chicken hobby.

I don't know about mushrooms, but my darn cat has got a nose. He tracks down all my leftovers and has to try everything I eat at least once. It's funny to watch him after he eats spicy food. He's like a dog that's eaten peanut butter, his tongue trying to rinse his palette.6

Anyway, I've got some foraging books on the way, and a few more in my cart at Amazon for next year.I'll be on my own tho, although that cat of mine is a pretty good bird dog/ retriever.

(He won't get the dead ones, but he'll go get the wounded ones for me and give them to me.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom