Mushroom foragers

Pics
Hmmm a brat and a brew for a Morel,,Hmmm
lau.gif

Have you noticed some mushroomers never help the new guy....I have a cousin, a first cousin that refuses to even show me his spots..

He takes me out for other shrooms but not Morels..

Actually, I don't think they will be out this weekend, based on the lilacs here.

Because we have been pent up for 8-9 months without fungus at our finger tips...the Morel is a hot ticket item around here. Everybody and their Grandpas go out looking for them. We are getting rain Friday and Saturday. I never usually say "hooray" on a rainy weekend but I will be this year. I want some nice growing conditions this year. It seems Jerryse and Ralphie have put the pressure on me to find them some mushrooms again. We'll see how we do with a spring hunt. I'll admit I'm not the best at guiding mushroom hunts....at all. LOL.

Hmmm a brat and a brew for a Morel,,Hmmm
lau.gif

Have you noticed some mushroomers never help the new guy....I have a cousin, a first cousin that refuses to even show me his spots..

He takes me out for other shrooms but not Morels..

Actually, I don't think they will be out this weekend, based on the lilacs here.
Don't really know any other mushroomers but that's OK. I'm more of a 'do it yourself' kinda gal anyway.

Waiting for some rain here too. Hopefully it will drive the last of the frost out and then a few warm days...maybe something will pop up.

If I take the metal detector along I'll be sure to come home with something even if it's just a rusty old bolt.
roll.png

I believe I have what is called Langermannia Gigantea...a member of the Puffball and allies group, Family (Lycoperdaceae). My book states they are edible when the flesh is white and firm....but how to cook if ya'll agree with me?
These were found in our upper pasture and popped up overnight....
From the top...appear to have grown so quickly two of them split open. one at top may have been stepped on by a deer or a cow.

Underside...broke of at ground level so root/stem still has a little dirt.

Inside showing color and firmness. The one on the top right appears to be changing as the spores ripen.

I believe I have what is called Langermannia Gigantea...a member of the Puffball and allies group, Family (Lycoperdaceae). My book states they are edible when the flesh is white and firm....but how to cook if ya'll agree with me?
These were found in our upper pasture and popped up overnight....
From the top...appear to have grown so quickly two of them split open. one at top may have been stepped on by a deer or a cow.

Underside...broke of at ground level so root/stem still has a little dirt.

Inside showing color and firmness. The one on the top right appears to be changing as the spores ripen.
Not puffballs!

I think I see an outline of a stem. The brown one has the net/mesh look to it. BUT the brown on the lower inside might be a problem.

If it is one cooking is a breeze, a little onion. butter add eat and pig out. I love puffballs..

BTW don't worry about what I say, I am always looking for things wrong with my own too.

Good to see some morel talk! ;) We haven't found any herevin Ohio yet, but have started planning our trip to Michigan for the end of May. Honestly, my favorite part about going to Michigan isn't finding mushrooms, it's the sights and family time. :)

Back
Top Bottom