Mushroom foragers

Pics
There was a very nice spring rain here a couple of days ago which caused this arrival.

Oyster mushroom on dead elm tree.
full

full

Ok folks... Spring is here, where should I be looking for mushrooms? I'm on the side of a mountain. At the top it's about 1000 ft above sea level... but I also one the backside which goes down to sea level. House is on west side, garden is on south side, and then there's the east side and north side....

I saw a forager site had morels in Iowa.
Friday there was snow everywhere! Today it is brown grass everywhere. Winter disappeared fast. We’re almost a tidge dry in some places.

I’m going to go for a look see this weekend.

where should I be looking for mushrooms?

You can find various mushrooms about anywhere, but speaking strictly of morels, my favorites this time of year, there are areas and associations worth checking out. Your habitat should be similar to mine in southern Ohio where I often find them in rich undisturbed soils in association with tulip tree groves and spicebush patches in older woods. I usually find them on south-facing slopes first where the sun has warmed the soil to above 50, then as spring progresses they will pop on all slopes and ridges. There are several species of morels with the blacks usually appearing first and the gray/white/yellows following a week or two+ later. There is a great website with information on how and where to look for shrooms as well as a timing locator map you may find interesting:
https://www.thegreatmorel.com/morel-sightings/

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom