Mushroom foragers

20191017_123352.jpg
Finally my stump produced . I was about to think it would not this year .

So I am interested in growing mushrooms outdoors . I already do some . Started the hen of the woods . I am now interested in Lions Mane and Chanterel . I know I can start a honey locust log with chicken of the woods . Anyone grow ? I did a Shitake log once . I did get a few shrooms from it but it only fruited once .

So I am interested in growing mushrooms outdoors . I already do some . Started the hen of the woods . I am now interested in Lions Mane and Chanterel . I know I can start a honey locust log with chicken of the woods . Anyone grow ? I did a Shitake log once . I did get a few shrooms from it but it only fruited once .
I haven't grown outside, just inside... but it is fairly easy to order spawn plugs and "seed" your logs and/or trees. Lion's mane would be fun!!

well mushroom hunting has been done for me awhile now. the only one i think i can go and get is chaga at the moment. you harvest it in the winter right?

other wise i think its now a waiting time for morels in the spring then i plan to hunt chantrelles in the summer and fall again.

okay got a question for you mushroom hunters, do any of you sell your mushrooms you harvest? where i went picking this summer it had a few mushroom buying camps and met a few people who hunt all summer for there jobs (jumping area to area to harvest different mushrooms for profit) talked to one fellow who told us that there buying them any where from 4.50-6.00 dollars a lb for fresh chantrelles. (the guys at the whole sale camps)

but just wondering if anyone does that as a side line business or just a hobby that could pay for its self.

well mushroom hunting has been done for me awhile now. the only one i think i can go and get is chaga at the moment. you harvest it in the winter right?

other wise i think its now a waiting time for morels in the spring then i plan to hunt chantrelles in the summer and fall again.

okay got a question for you mushroom hunters, do any of you sell your mushrooms you harvest? where i went picking this summer it had a few mushroom buying camps and met a few people who hunt all summer for there jobs (jumping area to area to harvest different mushrooms for profit) talked to one fellow who told us that there buying them any where from 4.50-6.00 dollars a lb for fresh chantrelles. (the guys at the whole sale camps)

but just wondering if anyone does that as a side line business or just a hobby that could pay for its self.
There are mushroom buyers here, especially during Morel season. So obviously, some folks do sell to mushroom buyers here. My circle kind of frowns upon that kind of thing, as we like to leave a few to release spores for next year and not tear up the ecosystem while we are out foraging. The commercial pickers come in and leave places bare, trespass on private property to do it, and don't seem to care what kind of effect they have on the surrounding flora and fauna.

We are only allowed to sell to a licensed seller.

They are the only ones allowed to sell to Businesses or consumers. You must take an approved class to get the license... the catch is the state refuses to put one on.

The buyers were paying $20 a pound for black trumpets... then selling them for $60 to the high end restaurants...

I sent my extras to my brothers instead..

We are only allowed to sell to a licensed seller.

They are the only ones allowed to sell to Businesses or consumers. You must take an approved class to get the license... the catch is the state refuses to put one on.

The buyers were paying $20 a pound for black trumpets... then selling them for $60 to the high end restaurants...

I sent my extras to my brothers instead..
Exactly!! If I do have excess, I like to dehydrate them, save em for later. There are so many ways to preserve them.... blanch and freeze, store in honey, ECT. There is really no reason to sell them.

Exactly!! If I do have excess, I like to dehydrate them, save em for later. There are so many ways to preserve them.... blanch and freeze, store in honey, ECT. There is really no reason to sell them.

I had already too many dehydrated when I sent my brothers some...I would hate to have them start picking their own.. they would get it wrong.

I had already too many dehydrated when I sent my brothers some...I would hate to have them start picking their own.. they would get it wrong.
This thread has reminded me of my dehydrated morels stuffed somewhere in the back of the pantry. I had forgotten about those, in my frenzy to get the garden produce preserved for the winter. I'm thinking its time to break some out!!

There are mushroom buyers here, especially during Morel season. So obviously, some folks do sell to mushroom buyers here. My circle kind of frowns upon that kind of thing, as we like to leave a few to release spores for next year and not tear up the ecosystem while we are out foraging. The commercial pickers come in and leave places bare, trespass on private property to do it, and don't seem to care what kind of effect they have on the surrounding flora and fauna.
i was told buy the pickers that you need to cut the stem with a knife so the mushrooms will regrow year after year. and was told not to pick when it was too dry as you can hurt the moss and the mushrooms under the moss. i mean they seemed there where pretty serious about protecting the area (mainly because its just profit for them)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom