Do chickens know enough to avoid poisonous plants and the 'bad' mushrooms?
I havne't done a mushroom patrol around to see if there are any growing in my yard and had planned to let them free range some each day.
will they eat anything or will they avoid things that are bad for them?
I was told by a vet that mushrooms arent a good idea. Although she was talking about ones growing in my yard.. not storebought. I know they are toxic for dogs, I pick them when I see them to prevent my dogs from getting them and though I could just throw them to the chickens but she said not to and to just toss them.
Quote:Generally, yes. Poisonous plants usually taste bitter so the bird learns not to eat them.
I personally wouldn't. Chickens are sensitive to fungal and mold infections, and seeing as a mushroom is a fungus... I don't think it would be a good idea. Plus, I have mushrooms growing around my coops, the birds have never expressed any interest in them.