Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenWisperer, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Just had to see if it was ok if they had some mushroom treats.....

I didnt see it on the treat chart so I decided i'd make sure it was a-ok first.

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    what kind? I wouldnt feed them no wild mushrooms unless you're 100% sure what they are. Many are poison.

3. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I dont know what kind they are; we got them at walmart. I guess their just regular eating mushrooms? I dont like mushrooms so I wouldnt know.....The brand was Montery.

LOL. No wild mushrooms grow around here......not really anyways.

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Do chickens know enough to avoid poisonous plants and the 'bad' mushrooms?
    I havne't done a mushroom patrol around to see if there are any growing in my yard and had planned to let them free range some each day.
    will they eat anything or will they avoid things that are bad for them?

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I was told by a vet that mushrooms arent a good idea. Although she was talking about ones growing in my yard.. not storebought. I know they are toxic for dogs, I pick them when I see them to prevent my dogs from getting them and though I could just throw them to the chickens but she said not to and to just toss them.

Nancy

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Generally, yes. Poisonous plants usually taste bitter so the bird learns not to eat them.

I personally wouldn't. Chickens are sensitive to fungal and mold infections, and seeing as a mushroom is a fungus... I don't think it would be a good idea. Plus, I have mushrooms growing around my coops, the birds have never expressed any interest in them.

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Mine get mushroom trimmings and stems from my cooking all the time. Never a problem, and they like them.

I agree, I wouldn't give them wild mushrooms unless you know they are a safe variety.

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    My girls are picky i guess. They wont eat them as table scraps so i dont really offer them anymore. I would be cautious of anything "wild" around for your girls to eat though.

9. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Thanks everybody for the replies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by