mushy yolks in hard boiled eggs

jvirden

Hatching
May 19, 2015
I have 26 chickens of various breeds. 2-4 years old. Within the past few weeks we have some eggs with mushy yolks when boiled. Everything looks fine, even the yolk looks fine,looks like any normal yolk, it is just mushy. I have found previous discussions about egg whites doing something similar, but not the yolks. Any ideas? Just wait it out?

Hmmm...how do the yolks seem to be holding up to other cooking methods or when messed with in raw state? Have you recently changed (ie feed, amount of time grazing, etc.) or treated for anything (worms, for example) in the flock?

I have 26 chickens of various breeds. 2-4 years old. Within the past few weeks we have some eggs with mushy yolks when boiled. Everything looks fine, even the yolk looks fine,looks like any normal yolk, it is just mushy. I have found previous discussions about egg whites doing something similar, but not the yolks. Any ideas? Just wait it out?
Eggs change as the hens get older. It is likely just from the older hens. How are they health wise?

Absolutely nothing has changed in their care or feeding. They look fine when cracked and taste fine scrambled. Haven't tried frying yet. I wouldn't think the eggs would change as early as 4 years, would they? All seem to be very healthy.

Absolutely nothing has changed in their care or feeding. They look fine when cracked and taste fine scrambled. Haven't tried frying yet. I wouldn't think the eggs would change as early as 4 years, would they? All seem to be very healthy.

4 years is actually pretty far into a hen's productive life, so changes would be expected. While they often live many years beyond this point their actual production (both in volume and quality) is on the declining side of things at that age.

Back
Top Bottom