Muskovy duck going lame.

FarmerBrown506

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2023
There was another post about 2 yrs ago, which seemed to be someone experiencing the exact same thing with their muskovies. There was no conclusion to that post.
This would be the second duck, from the same batch I got last fall, that goes lame in this way.
The other one declined much faster and passed, and I thought ot was more neurological than anything else. Now about 1 month later, another seems to be doing the same, but is still eating, bathing, poops normal for almost 2 weeks. She only seems to do this when moving too fast.
All are on duck grower, but spend most of the day foraging on the farm.
Im including a video.
Any guidance is appreciated.

How old is she and has she ever been given any extra niacin besides her feed.
I'd start her on Liquid B Complex just to see if it takes care of this. Some ducks even when older can come down with niacin deficiency. Since we aren't vets we have to eliminate to see if we can find out what may be going on. Niacin deficiency left untreated can cause death. TSC carries Durvet liquid B Complex you want to give her 1ml daily over a special treat just enough so you know she is getting the whole dose. Hopefully that is what is going on because it is one of the problems that can be treated by us.

How old is she and has she ever been given any extra niacin besides her feed.
I'd start her on Liquid B Complex just to see if it takes care of this. Some ducks even when older can come down with niacin deficiency. Since we aren't vets we have to eliminate to see if we can find out what may be going on. Niacin deficiency left untreated can cause death. TSC carries Durvet liquid B Complex you want to give her 1ml daily over a special treat just enough so you know she is getting the whole dose. Hopefully that is what is going on because it is one of the problems that can be treated by us.

I got them in the fall, they were probably 3 months at that point.
I never thought of niacin, Ive only ever encountered issues in ducklings.
I may quarantine her, and add some nutritional yearst to her diet. Keep you posted Miss Lydia! Looking through some other threads, I was fairly confident you would be my reply! 🦆🦆
Thanks again, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom