That is interesting! I wasn’t trying to be rude btw. I live in Wisconsin so we have the higher aroma cedar. 😖
I love the smell but here it’s harmful.

I'm not offended. :) I would always urge caution with cedar. But there's a difference between types of cedar and how you plan on using it in a set up. I would not use more aromatic types of cedar, nor fresh cedar (fresh chips, period, I'd avoid for multiple reasons), nor 100% cedar chips or shavings. But a cedar coop should be fine (especially if painted or otherwise sealed over) as the amount of surface area for aromatics to escape from is far less than shavings, for example.

It's like straw is generally safe to use around chickens. But it can also harbor mites and it can mold. So in some set ups it works really well and folks are happy with it. In others, it's a nightmare to manage and folks end up tearing it all out.

I'm not offended. :) I would always urge caution with cedar. But there's a difference between types of cedar and how you plan on using it in a set up. I would not use more aromatic types of cedar, nor fresh cedar (fresh chips, period, I'd avoid for multiple reasons), nor 100% cedar chips or shavings. But a cedar coop should be fine (especially if painted or otherwise sealed over) as the amount of surface area for aromatics to escape from is far less than shavings, for example.

It's like straw is generally safe to use around chickens. But it can also harbor mites and it can mold. So in some set ups it works really well and folks are happy with it. In others, it's a nightmare to manage and folks end up tearing it all out.
I had no idea a cedar coop would be safe good to know!
I have so much straw in my hay mound from when my family farmed but it’s so dusty unless I pick from a good spot and I notice that if I get a bad batch, my oldest silkie hen always gets lice. She is a lice magnet! And DE is a waste of time and $. I have had amazing luck with poultry dust and a homemade deodorizing/disinfectant spray I found on Pinterest. The only time I use straw is in summer when I have more ventilation with windows and doors open more but I mix with pine shavings.

Ok, so I have an older barn, my chickens are in an enclosed section that use to be for calves. It’s sectioned off from the main barn but my issue is, concrete floor. It sweats, I use pine shavings/some straw. And when it gets wet or sweats I clean the coop and sprinkle barn lime.
does anyone else have this type of flooring, what do you use for bedding, cleaning advice. I’m so worried about coccidiosis. 😢
Also interested in what people use on floor with old concrete sweating. I’m using an old milk house attached to barn as a coop and notice the floor will sweat terribly with humid weather, like yesterday (NE Wisconsin). I just received my very first flock of 17 chicks 🐥 today but am worried with the wet sweating floor. I currently have the chicks in a brooder box within the coop (milk house) and have not put anything down on the main floor of the coop yet.

Attachments

• FF54C2F4-7FA4-4B1A-9CBE-97CE3873EBC6.jpeg
    FF54C2F4-7FA4-4B1A-9CBE-97CE3873EBC6.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 9
  • EB8381BD-EB32-4973-9CD9-6C1C48B465A8.jpeg
    EB8381BD-EB32-4973-9CD9-6C1C48B465A8.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 9
I know some people say DE is useless, but I'm one who swears by it. I've never had a mite issue, touch wood, and I've had chickens for years. I dust about once weekly around perches, corners and nest boxes and include it in my hens dust bath with some wood ash. I keep a clean coop and wipe down areas routinelywith a cleaning vinegar solution, and only use the deep litter method in the winter, so that might contribute, but DE is something I wouldn't skip.
Maybe a dumb question, but is DE Diatomaceous Earth?

Also interested in what people use on floor with old concrete sweating. I’m using an old milk house attached to barn as a coop and notice the floor will sweat terribly with humid weather, like yesterday (NE Wisconsin). I just received my very first flock of 17 chicks 🐥 today but am worried with the wet sweating floor. I currently have the chicks in a brooder box within the coop (milk house) and have not put anything down on the main floor of the coop yet.
I’m in NE Wisconsin also!

Back
Top Bottom