Mutts

The Chickens' Maid :

Here are two of our mutt roos (silkie/BO). The one in the back is Bubba and the one in the front is Wooster the Rooster.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30030_img_0877.jpg

Here they are with their momma and their siblings.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30030_hannahs_pictures_061.jpg

Wonderful looking birds! That one of mom with chicks is just adorable!!!
smile.png
t​

Here are some of my "mutts"! I think the mutts are some of the most fun to raise, because it's interesting to see how they'll turn out.
big_smile.png

Misc171.jpg

These two girls (Alpine is the gray one, Aspen is the lighter one) are both the same mix, actually--Plymouth barred rock and manx rumpie! The man I got them from had a bunch of this mix, and they were such an interesting variety. Only one of my two came out tailless, but I think they're both just lovely! I really like their body shape, coloration, and, in Aspen's case, markings.

Misc173.jpg

Misc208.jpg

And this girl, Fumie, is my mille fleur d'uccle/OEGB mix:

Misc407.jpg

Misc351.jpg

One of my young OEGB hens hatched her in the dead middle of winter a few years ago, so she had to be raised in the house. I couldn't find chicks available anywhere, so I was forced to raise her alone (her mother was uncertain of what to do with her). She had some trouble adjusting to the flock for quite a while because she was more imprinted to humans than her own kind, but now she behaves like a normal chicken like she's supposed to.
smile.png

This is Honey and I'm not real sure of her cross.She looks like a buff wyandotte with her rose comb but she is a mutt.
I hatched her from some swap eggs that came from Michigan so not sure what the cross is.She has a few Chanticleers and I know she has a BLRW roo so that is my guess.
jan2010chickens171.jpg

This is a Blue Orp/ Buff Brahma cross pullet.She is only 10 months old and will be a huge girl.

jan2010chickens194.jpg

This is Drumstick another Blue Orp/ Buff Brahma cross and he's a big boy about 2 years old.

jan2010chickens174.jpg

This is a Blue Orp/ Light Brahma cross about a year old.Any combination cross of Orpington's and Brahma's make huge chickens and they actually lay pretty well especially in cold weather.

jan2010chickens180.jpg

Last edited:
21342_img_2157.jpg

Here is a pic of my Buff Orph / Austrolorp cross. He's a big boy now and is even more beautiful. (You can tell this is an old picture since we have snow on the ground now)

I liked him so much as he got older, that I decided to have more. I just got 6 more this week to hatch out.

He colored out with a very dark buff....almost a red color with little spots of black and a dark tail. He's very gentle and acts more like a buff girl than a roo. His neck and leg areas continued to lose the black and become more like the body. Only the dark tail remained and looks alot like a game hen (english?).

I guess that I should have mentioned that they are born black with a little bronze mask around their face area....then lose the black as they age and feather out to look more like his body area.

I still haven't decided whether to call them Austrolorpingtons........or Buffolorps.
tongue.png

Last edited:
catdaddyfro,

I have the northern version of your flock and pack!

These are Buckerolles (Salmon Faverolles rooster / Buckeye hens)

11751_marshmallow_2.jpg
11751_silly_rooster.jpg

11751_sweater_rooster.jpg
11751_rusty_girl.jpg

I have a Catahoula mix Blueberry - he is making me crazy with is growling - is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom