muzzleloaders

Quote:
In this case I think it might be more likely that the ball richeted off the ground which altered it's trajectory. Hope you don't have to convince a jury it "couldn't have happened" : )

This has nothing to do with the post but it made think about it,last summer i cut down a few old oak trees that were on there way out,while i was splitting them for firewood i found altogether 9 musket balls and 2 flint arrow heads embedded in the wood.

I doubt that the ball could have been fired at a target 4 feet high and end up in a tree 450yds away at 20 feet high....do you?

It's very possible it could have happened, but there needs to be more details given.

What was the target?

Distance from shooter to target?

Flat ground, hills, etc...?

Caliber and type of projectile?

Precise load used?​

We are CW reenactors and yes is the OP's question.

However I don't get the story about the CW bullet penterating a woman, impregnating her OR the story about some bullet traveling so far to kill a woman dead on her feet in her kitchen. They have to be close by to kill someone like that.

Quote:
Yes, they have to be close to have good knock down power. The problem I had when I was choosing a bullet to shoot was that I wanted something big and deadly, but wouldn't budge on range. I needed 200 yards and a fairly heavy bullet. This bullet is what I chose:
http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Products/Powerbelt-Ballistic-50c-245gr-At__AC1589A.aspx

NOt sure if hubby's reproduction Sharps and Thompson rifles would take those bullets, rather than ball, cloth, ramrod and gunpowder type of thing.

It should, you can shoot a ball out of a modern muzzleloader, and a sabot. If you can shoot a ball out of a modern one then you should be able to shoot a saboted bullet out of an older one. Since those bullets fit in modern guns that hold balls they should fit in his. The reason i switched is because I hate sabots, and these have more knock down power and longer range.

Quote:
You can't(well you can but it's not accurate at all) shoot a ball from the modern inline muzzle loader,the rifling is not right.Most manufactured today have a 1:28 twist which is to much for a ball.

Back
Top Bottom