MW turkey cooked--REALLY!!!! WARNING--PICS

longranger

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
laguna hills CA
I culled my first turkey, a MW because of squinty eyes and some colored feathers. Even at 19 weeks with no fattening up he dressed out at 11#. Delicious. Can see why it has won taste tests. One bite on this bird had more flavor than a whole butterball. He is in a 16" oval pan For size reference.

29050_img_0910.jpg

29050_img_0907.jpg

Yes Midget white. This likely will be my "chicken" for the forseeable future. Has incredible flavor and is a lot more fun to grow than meat chickens. Harvested young they are about the size of a large roaster chicken. Can't wait to smoke a mature one that has been fattened up.

We are all entitled to our own favorite flavors but if your experiences have been limited to overcooked broad breasted comercial birds you may want to give a home grown heritage turkey a taste. Properly prepared they are incredibly flavorfull and juicy. Then again that does not mean you will like the flavor.LOL

Try brining all your whole birds, you will never have another dry one. Dissolve about 1/2 cup of salt, less if using sea salt, and then fill the container holding your bird so that it fully covers the whole bird. Put in frig overnight and then cook as usual. OMG! Does it work great. You can add other stuff to your brine too like hot peppers, spices like peppercorns, garlic, onion, pepper flakes, maybe even a little soy sauce too. Use your imagination. You are going to love it.

Back
Top Bottom