My $12.00 coop

ExeterNH

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Hello, I am new to this board and just wanted to introduce myself and my girls and their home. I have a small backyard in with a small side space next to the house. The previous owner had a dog and left this old doghouse in the side area of the house. I turned it into a playhouse for my daughters but they were never really interested, so I converted into a small coop and got some hearty layers instead.

I used plywood that I had laying around and old materials. It was all done for a few bucks and it works fine for our 6 girls (two New Hampshires, one RIR, one Black Cochin, one Americauna, one Silkie).

3927075913_797a867e62.jpg

3927858378_fc9461727d.jpg

Its not the Taj Mahal, but the hens are very happy.

3927858316_a3cdc38a94.jpg

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you! This is just the little run area that leads to the open backyard. They free range all day in our yard which is about 20x20 with ample cover and bushes.

Wow--$12???
big_smile.png
Looks nice darn nice for $12!!! My only thought is the ladder to the upper roost is too steep for the chickesn to use.

Thats what Im talking about~~~How we can make coops for our babies and the cheaper...or should I sa cost effective...the better...way to go and congrats~!!!

WELCOME TO OUR MADDNESS!!!!! your never going back ...into the other zone...
Question....is that top roost alittle to high for your babies?....notice they are small, can they get up there?...and can they walk up your ramp? Just curious...I have all size babies and new to that, so wondering.

Thanks for the compliment! I put in two roosts to see which they would prefer, and of course they like the higher one. What they do is walk up the ramp while fluttering their wings and then just get on the roost. In the morning they just jump down.

I don't have a lot of room for turns in the ramp or for anything else for that matter but they are up there every night. It might be more work for them to get up there but they seem to be doing it. Do you think I should add another flight of stairs down to add a turn for them? Not sure how to fix this.

All the wood you see in there came from my shed or from old projects. The waterer and feeder came from a Craigslist ad for $2.50 a piece. The hinges were the most expensive item you see.

Back
Top Bottom