My 16 day old cracked Muscovy egg passed away after living for 5 days. (Warning Sensitive Content)

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Sadly, I was candling on day 11 and one of my eggs slipped. Small crack with no damage to membrane and no bleeding.
I immediately covered it with paraffin wax and hoped for the best.
Unfortunately, after living for 5 days after, it passed away last night. I’m heartbroken because it’s my fault. 💔

I wanted to open the egg to see what a 16 day old embryo looks like and to look closely at the inside of the shell. I honestly don’t know what happened. There was no internal damage.

I attached some photos in case anyone is interested.

Kindest blessings to all.

Attachments

• AAFF13A3-9E0B-4482-B341-EF1BA0D3FF36.jpeg
    AAFF13A3-9E0B-4482-B341-EF1BA0D3FF36.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 67140B36-ADFA-4446-9FE7-DD5FA23D8629.jpeg
    67140B36-ADFA-4446-9FE7-DD5FA23D8629.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 9
Sorry for your loss.
Can I ask how you knew he had passed?
Bacteria could of gotten in or there could of been a problem where he would of died even if the shell was never cracked.

Sorry for your loss.
Bacteria could of gotten in or there could of been a problem where he would of died even if the shell was never cracked.

Sorry for your loss.
Bacteria could of gotten in or there could of been a problem where he would of died even if the shell was never crack
Sorry for your loss

But the pictures are interesting.... amazing how fast they grow
Thank you.
I can’t figure out what’s going on. I’m at a loss.
I knew he had passed by candling the egg and he stopped moving. The veins start to disappear and the embryo releases and “floats”
I’m heartbroken because I just candled his twin (2 eggs laid together) and this on passed away too! One on day 16 and one on day 17!
I currently have Covid but always sanitize before handling the eggs, I’m wondering if I killed them!! This egg was developing beautifully and moving all over yesterday. No cracks, correct temperature and humidity.
Odd thing is that my female has been laying eggs since January 23rd! One every few days. I currently have 5 different ages in my incubator, another came just this morning.
I’m losing hope and it really effects my children when we lose one. AND myself because we desperately want these ducklings to add to our little Duck family.
This is my female’s first clutch. She’s 9 months old. Could that be the problem?
Am I doing something wrong?

Last summer we had a nest of Wood ducks in our yard. Sadly mom was taken by a fox, so of course I could leave the eggs to die.
When I got them they appeared to be about 2 weeks old. I did the same thing I’m doing now with my Muscovy’s and all 5 eggs hatched into precious ducklings.
I’m using a different incubator now and it’s winter and a different breed, and I’ve heard Muscovy’s are near impossible to incubate.
I feel like I’m going to lose all 9 eggs that are left at the dreaded day 16. 😢
When we lose one my little girl cries her eyes out and I just don’t understand what’s going wrong or what to do!

I’m adding a photo of a dead embryo and a live embryo for comparison.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• 3930FD74-7747-43F8-B67A-C6EB523B70C7.jpeg
    3930FD74-7747-43F8-B67A-C6EB523B70C7.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 12
  • E34459B5-495D-4873-8DAF-355BB001F38A.png
    E34459B5-495D-4873-8DAF-355BB001F38A.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I think knowing details on temps, humidity, how often they’re turned etc can help find the problem.
I know how upsetting it is to lose them but unfortunately it comes with incubating.
I would check over your temps, humidity, turning etc and then my advice would be to stop candling so much. Candle around day 10 and again before lockdown but leave it at that. I know it’s hard to keep hands off (I tend to candle too much myself) but candling more doesn’t help or change anything except it could cause problems for the developing embryo.

I think knowing details on temps, humidity, how often they’re turned etc can help find the problem.
I know how upsetting it is to lose them but unfortunately it comes with incubating.
I would check over your temps, humidity, turning etc and then my advice would be to stop candling so much. Candle around day 10 and again before lockdown but leave it at that. I know it’s hard to keep hands off (I tend to candle too much myself) but candling more doesn’t help or change anything except it could cause problems for the developing embryo.
Hi my friend,

I know, it’s so hard not to candle, especially when you have a little girl who is so incredibly interested in watching their development!
I’m just afraid of one dying and exploding!

I’m constantly checking the temperature and humidity. I have the the incubator right in the living room. The temperature is at a constant 37.6-37.9 it automatically varies by 2 points.
I’m reading SO many different articles about humidity! I honestly don’t know what the “real proper” humidity is supposed to be.
I change the water twice a week so bacteria doesn’t start to grow and I have not started misting and cooling because everyone has a different opinion.

My female has been laying since January 23rd! Another egg yesterday and another one this morning. She has a lovely brooding box, up off the ground, full of fresh hay, but she doesn’t use it. She literally just lays her eggs anywhere and everywhere. That’s why I decided to intervene. I put her first 3 in her box but they froze! We put them in their heated shed when it gets too cold, but since she didn’t sit, the eggs froze.
I don’t think she’s connecting the dots.
This is her first clutch.
I’m going to try to figure out how to do a salt test today, I don’t understand why that means so much, but I’m going to do it anyway.
I’m about to candle my last 17 day old and I’m scared to death to check because I’m not able to get past that point.
I just wish I knew what I’m doing wrong! 😢💔

Not over 45%. What humidity are you at now?

Muscovy eggs will usually change color long before they explode. See below.
Ohhh, ok. Thank you so much!
The current temperature is 37.6-37.9, the set temperature varies by 2 points at all times.
The humidity is reading 57 right now, but it changed as soon as I opened the lid. I hate the fact that I was told to keep the styrofoam on the bottom so I can’t see the humidity unless I open the lid!
I’m going to take it off and see what happens with the temperature.
I just put in a new gauge this morning.
That’s way to high!
How do I get it down?!
The vent is open! Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom