My 1st opposum ordeal

tx_dane_mom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
SE Texas
Just shot my 1st 'possum a few mins ago. Husband says they would kill my chickens...that's the only reason I killed it....what do they do?

I think the moderators should give out something like stars or points
yippiechickie.gif
for the ones that remove predators. Of course some on this forum wouldnt like it I'm sure.
old.gif
Lets see..... Opossum=5, Weasels=10, Raccoons=20, Fox=15, Coyote=15, Raptors=10, Owls=15 and anyone can add to this I'll leave it open...........

Last edited:
No I meant what will a possom do to a chicken?
And I didn't WANT to kill it...it's a funny story in the end..took 3 bullets to take 'em out. I was ok w/him digging in my garden (so my husband could do the dead in the next few days) but as soon as he said "He'll kill your chickens" it was ON.

They will kill your chickens!! They will drag them right off the roost! Opossums are nasty,
barnie.gif
I've seen several in an old dead cow carcass. They have razor sharp teeth too.

Possums, skunks, raccoons and myriad other predators will kill your chickens. They'll kill more than they can eat, often. And keep coming back.
Better to shoot it than risk your chickens being hurt. Now that you've seen them in your yard, give the coop/run a thorough going over for any way a predator could get in.
smile.png

Carla

Atleast he was in my garden which was on the opposite side of the yard, but I will check on my birds in the a.m. There are ways they can get in if they REALLY want to. But thankfully I have dogs to alert me that there's something wrong.
But, I know now to keep an ear out b/c I bet if there's one, there's more....

Back
Top Bottom