My 7 week old chicken has got wry neck.

AS soon as I saw "wry neck," I knew it would be a silkie. It is very common in silkies. Sometimes it's caused by a blow or peck to the head, other times nutritional deficiencies etc.

As far as I know- being on BYC for several years, the ONLY birds to die, were ones the owners got tired of taking care of them and put them down. My friend with house chickens had one that also had severe seizures (not common) and eventually he got well and lived to be several years old.

You can also gently massage the neck into the proper position a few times a day. Sometimes Polyvisol (NO iron) infant drops are given as well, I'd say about 3 drops 3 times a day. If the chick will eat, put the drops on the feed. If not use dropper to put in front of mouth. That way if chick refuses to swallow, it can push it back out. A non breakable mirror is also a comfort to lonely chicks, they think another chick is with it.

Take heed of what Junebuggena said. Layer feed is very bad for young chicks and also males (because they will never lay eggs) they cannot handle excess calcium.

Thankyou so much for your help and yes we are going to get some starter feed today , at pets for homes. And yes I am grateful my dad loves him as much as me
2764.png

Guys , I'm going to the pets at home shop today and my dad said buy the chick crumb , is that the same as getting starter feed?

Thanks , we got chick crumb and now my dad said he's going to delicately bath him, we just bath them in a bucket with a little water in it and let them splash around. Also the water level isn't high at all, they can stand up but we just get them used to water like every 2-3 times a week. Then we put the hairdryer on a low setting and dry them. That's okay right ? Do they like it ? And they do seem to like it
1f44d-1f3fc.png

Back
Top Bottom