My African geese (2 ganders) are sick what do I need?

Harry Rooster

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
"the boonies" in, Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
About a week ago, my youngest gander Henry, started acting lethargic and just standing or sleeping. He is still eating but his neck feathers are fluffed up and he just acts like he's feeling poorly. I was advised to worm him. I tried to get him to eat some lettuce with some Valbazen on it since lettuce is his favorite, but he wouldn't eat it. I think he tasted it on there, even though I had it folded over with the med. inside. Then my other older gander Scarface, has some big knots on the side of his face that have gotten worse and his eye on that side looks like it is infected. Neither have ever been wormed. Didn't know you were supposed to do that. I tried to trick him also with the med on some tomatoes since that is his favorite, but he wouldn't eat it either. Going to have to go with the kind of wormer that you add to the water to be able to get them to take it. What is the best kind that kills all worms. I also have chickens that sometimes drink from the geese's water, so separating the water wouldn't work here. What would be safe for all of them just in case the chickens drank it also? Also, what is this on Scarface's face, is it a bacterial infection, and what can I do for that, any meds I can try for this? I think that this is also on his beard, I don't know though if it's supposed to be like that, but it looks like a knot starting to come up there also. Don't know what caused it or what it is, but I desperately need some advise on this. I will try to post pictures. Thank you so much in advance! Harry Rooster

Here they are when they're healthy! They have 2 kiddie pools, one smaller and one larger, and they have a pond also, but it is a small pond and it stays muddy looking, and it leaks, so if it doesn't rain a lot it does dry up, and they only have the 2 pools.

Great news about Scarface. here's the dosage for treating with Epernix

here's the doseage.
1 drop OEGB female
2 drops OEGB male
3 drops average bantams i usually do 4
4 drops large bantam
5 drops most commercial fowl
6 drops giant breeds which I have Brahmas and usually do
and if you want to be able to continue to use the eggs you might want to consider using Epernix pour-on next time. and don't forget the coop too.

I'd say Harry falls into the commercial fowl category, you hen large bantam.

livins idea is good too. But unless you clean out where they sleep and treat you'll never get rid of them. and they have to be treated 7-10 days after first treatment to kill any nits that hatch.

As you can see, his eyeball is looking like a grey color and looks infected too, if you can tell from the photo. It didn't turn out very good. And he has one of those knots on the end of his beard, also on the other side of his face there is a small little yellow bump coming on up under his eye on that side too. Do you think it is some sort of parasite?

My suggestion would be for the lesions on the face, take them to a vet. I purchase a wormer from Murray McMurray Hatchery that is all natural and organic called WormGuard Plus with flaxseed. It's a feed through wormer that you mix in their feed. It's safe for chickens and geese, I myself have 3 Africans. It works very well, and all my girls don't seem to notice it at all. Mcmurray ships very quickly too. The only definitive answer you will get is by doing a fecal flotation to know if it is definitely worms. I would take them to your veterinarian. Sometime this can be tricky too, I'm in Kansas and had to take my goose to Kansas State University when she had crop impaction. But if you've never wormed them, I suggest the WormGuard Plus.

Hello harry i love your african gander!
Well yea you have to worm him offcourse but the reason his eye is like that is because when the weather is warm and dry dust particals irritate the eye area and make it look infectious :/
But worm the gander and it can also happen when the place where he sleeps is very warm and dry ,best solution is cold or warm teabags on his eyes it will help him better and clean his area once or twice a day.

My buff african gander had this situation also last year in summer but it went away but he did lose a lot of weight.

hope it helped a bit

More photos hopefully better.

Hope someone can help me. See the little yellow colored bump under his eye, like a mole or something? He is very old. Haven't been checking him close enough to see this happening until it got big like it is.

Back
Top Bottom