My African geese (2 ganders) are sick what do I need?

Yes it's been really bad here, although we escaped any destruction here at our house, but others weren't so lucky. There have been several deaths with these storms ripping through. We need lots of prayers from everyone because we are due for more of the same later today and tonight. Sarface will be spending the night inside with me again. I think he likes it and thinks he's supposed to be able to stay in all the time. I had to lead him out this morning to get him to go back out and he's been coming to the door all day long today wanting back in. I think he's mostly attached to that handsome gander he sees in the mirror that lives in here, although I did take the mirror outside the other day to see if it would keep him company, and he didn't pay any attention to it outside. I don't mind him being inside, but I wish I could put a diaper on him though! lol Keeping a roll of paper towels handy always and mop!
sickbyc.gif
Getting a good chance to mist his face with the Oxine a lot anyway!

Yes it's been really bad here, although we escaped any destruction here at our house, but others weren't so lucky. There have been several deaths with these storms ripping through. We need lots of prayers from everyone because we are due for more of the same later today and tonight. Sarface will be spending the night inside with me again. I think he likes it and thinks he's supposed to be able to stay in all the time. I had to lead him out this morning to get him to go back out and he's been coming to the door all day long today wanting back in. I think he's mostly attached to that handsome gander he sees in the mirror that lives in here, although I did take the mirror outside the other day to see if it would keep him company, and he didn't pay any attention to it outside. I don't mind him being inside, but I wish I could put a diaper on him though! lol Keeping a roll of paper towels handy always and mop!
sickbyc.gif
Getting a good chance to mist his face with the Oxine a lot anyway!
I really like oxine you are mixing it with water right? I like to use puppy pee pads when i have to have one of the flock inside. I'm thinking Scarface wouldn't care much for a diaper. lol

Yes, about both Scarface and my rooster Harry with the same lice/mites or something infestation. I did put the Envernix drops on Scarface and seems that they are gone. Don't see any anyway. His eye is still not good, has bubbles in it, still putting the Tetracycline and Electrolytes in his water and giving him lots of greens and melons with fish oil tablet on there everyday. I've been misting his face with Oxine (unactivated) for the past couple of nights. I did put some ACV in his pools also. The knots on his face are not pus. The are hard orange things. I am about to come to the conclusion that they are fat accumilations like someone suggested. I think what may have happened is like someone suggested, that he scratched his face and maybe did that to his eye, because of the lice problem. It is now time to put the drops on again. My rooster, Harry and Red (his girl), I put the drops on him a couple of nights ago for some things that were not lice like Scarface had. These were white things that I thought were mites, but they fly all around him. I don't know what they were. We got him at night and put the drops on them. The next day the things were still flying all around. I also went into the house and dusted with poultry dust all around everywhere the next day. I don't know what those things are. Do mites fly? Small white round type bugs.
We had horrible scary bad weather here last night in Alabama with tornados and severe thunderstorms. Scarface stayed in here in my shop work room with me all night and stood by his new goose friend he's found in my door mirror. He slept beside him all night. I'm going to try to get some Baytril for him in hopes that it will clear up his eye. After trying the Oxine for a bit, I'm going to try the ACV dilluted for that. I am convinced that Henry died because he was just probably eaten up with the lice like Scarface, and maybe had worms too, I don't know still really what happened. I haven't seen any worms with Scarface either before or after the treatment. Since I've been letting him into the shop, I've been able to see his poop really well, since I have to clean it up. Poor thing, he still misses Henry, but he is now more friendly to us and no longer chases people to bite them, but wants to be around us now, and acts like he's protecting me. Still doesn't want to be handled though, but will actually let me rub his chest a little bit. We're in for more really bad weather this afternoon and tonight again, so he will be in here with me again tonight. He wants to come in now all through the day too. He's at the door now calling me to let him in. lol
That´s good news, so glad you´re making progress with your birds. well done. Will you look for a girlfriend for Scarface soon? That´ll perk him up no end once he´s better, which it sounds like he´s well on the way. good news indeed.
Hope you manage to weather the storms there ok.

Yes, I have mixed it up with the water as per directions, just not with the activation ingredient that's used for the disinfectant stuff. Just the plain Oxine and water, and put it in a mister bottle. He doesn't seem to mind me misting his face with it. Yeah, I finally wised up about the puppy pads last night. I put them all around. That worked out much better. Still had the roll of paper towels handy though to get up the clumps right away so he wouldn't step in them. lol Worked out much better. No, I'm sure he wouldn't take to a diaper very well, and it wouldn't be an easy task getting one on him either. He now thinks he a house pet!!! lol He follows my every step, right on my heels, and when I walk over to the fridge, he comes over there and sticks his face in there. He knows now that there's a bag of turnip greens and some lettuce in there! lol He doesn't want to go back outside when it's time in the morning. I have to lead him out, and when it starts to get dark or later on in the day, he will come to the screen door and honk and knock with his beak on the door wanting to come in. He really knows how to get your attention, when he wants in!! He thinks he's supposed to be in here now. These past few days have been horrible weather, so he's been coming in every night, or when the wind and rain starts. He sleeps beside the door mirror where his new friend is. Glad I don't have to clean up after him too!
th.gif

Been looking him over while he's in here, and don't see the bugs on him anymore. I saw on one of the chicken threads where there was a heated debate about whether Epernix would work for lice and mites and worms or not. They mostly came to the conclusion that it did not work for lice or worms on chickens, because of the type of lice and worms they get. I don't know about that, but it seems to have worked for Scarface. It's time to do it again now for the second round for him. I also put it on my rooster, Harry and his girl Red. I don't know what those things are that were on him, but they were little white things that fly all around him. Didn't see any on her, but they were all around him. They were white and round. The next day, he still had some, but they weren't as bad. I started putting some electrolytes in their water also. Going to put some more on him when the days are up for that. I also dusted out their house really well too. So I don't know, but it seems to have done the trick for Scarface, but the chicken experts were adamant that it doesn't work at all for chickens. Very heated debate over there that seems to have gotten controversial! lol I didn't comment!!!
hide.gif

BTW, We're all okay, and made it through the terrible storms unscathed, this time! Others weren't so luck though. There have been at least 16 deaths reported from it so far. We dodged the bullet once more and everything here is ok for now. Keep us all here in Bama, in your prayers though, cause this is a bad time of year for us, and it seems to get worse every year now.
Thanks Y'all!!!
love.gif

BTW, We're all okay, and made it through the terrible storms unscathed, this time! Others weren't so luck though. There have been at least 16 deaths reported from it so far. We dodged the bullet once more and everything here is ok for now. Keep us all here in Bama, in your prayers though, cause this is a bad time of year for us, and it seems to get worse every year now.
Thanks Y'all!!!
love.gif
We have been praying for you all. We are getting the rements of the rain suppose to get as much as 4-6" today but so far we have remained dry just very windy. Terrible thrunder storms came through on Monday night. Living in the mountains helps keep the tornados from getting to us thank the Lord.

I have seen debates on whether Epernix works or not and I can say it does. I used it 2 yrs straight when we had mites on the chickens and coop. then a couple yrs ago they had mites and the Epernix didn't work so someone told me to use Frontline well the generic so that yr I did. It's like anything they get use to something and you have to try something else then you can go back to the Epernix. I have been very pleased with Epernix so far.

sounds like you have a new buddy. that is so sweet. Hope you can find him a real live goose friend soon.

Last edited:
Update on Scarface! I have put the second treatment of the Epernix on him, and seems that the lice are all gone! Also saw where some worms were killed too, so he's got to be feeling better. So, the Epernix worked wonderfully. Thanks so much for all your help guys! I got him a new pool too and he's been coming in a lot and spending the night with me inside. He is now spoiled. He's also getting a daily dose of fish oil and turnip greens and or lettuce. He's a lot more friendly to me now and actually lets me pet him, instead of chasing me and trying to bite me constantly. His face is also looking better and I have been misting his face about 2 times daily with Oxine diluted with water as directed. He seems to be feeling a lot better. I also treated my rooster Harry and his girl Red Riding Hood with the Epernix, for first treatment and will put the second round on them in a couple of days. They are also much better, but did wind up dusting them also a bit a couple of nights after the first treatment. Found that his butt was almost raw and lots of feathers were broken off and missing, I guess due to lice or mites, whichever does that. Dusted his butt really good, and no longer see the white things flying all around his tail feathers. Guess that's what was the problem. So regardless what others say, the Epernix worked for me!

Update on Scarface!  I have put the second treatment of the Epernix on him, and seems that the lice are all gone! Also saw where some worms were killed too, so he's got to be feeling better. So, the Epernix worked wonderfully. Thanks so much for all your help guys!  I got him a new pool too and he's been coming in a lot and spending the night with me inside. He is now spoiled. He's also getting a daily dose of fish oil and turnip greens and or lettuce. He's a lot more friendly to me now and actually lets me pet him, instead of chasing me and trying to bite me constantly. His face is also looking better and I have been misting his face about 2 times daily with Oxine diluted with water as directed. He seems to be feeling a lot better. I also treated my rooster Harry and his girl Red Riding Hood with the Epernix, for first treatment and will put the second round on them in a couple of days. They are also much better, but did wind up dusting them also a bit a couple of nights after the first treatment. Found that his butt was almost raw and lots of feathers were broken off and missing, I guess due to lice or mites, whichever does that. Dusted his butt really good, and no longer see the white things flying all around his tail feathers. Guess that's what was the problem. So regardless what others say, the Epernix worked for me!

That's wonderful news! And I am glad that Scarface is now your best friend too. What a nice bond you 2 share now.

Update on Scarface! I have put the second treatment of the Epernix on him, and seems that the lice are all gone! Also saw where some worms were killed too, so he's got to be feeling better. So, the Epernix worked wonderfully. Thanks so much for all your help guys! I got him a new pool too and he's been coming in a lot and spending the night with me inside. He is now spoiled. He's also getting a daily dose of fish oil and turnip greens and or lettuce. He's a lot more friendly to me now and actually lets me pet him, instead of chasing me and trying to bite me constantly. His face is also looking better and I have been misting his face about 2 times daily with Oxine diluted with water as directed. He seems to be feeling a lot better. I also treated my rooster Harry and his girl Red Riding Hood with the Epernix, for first treatment and will put the second round on them in a couple of days. They are also much better, but did wind up dusting them also a bit a couple of nights after the first treatment. Found that his butt was almost raw and lots of feathers were broken off and missing, I guess due to lice or mites, whichever does that. Dusted his butt really good, and no longer see the white things flying all around his tail feathers. Guess that's what was the problem. So regardless what others say, the Epernix worked for me!
Brilliant, that´s wonderful news. and to Miss Lydia, too, who I think recommended the epernix. good outcome. Now you can start to really enjoy the birds again.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom