My alleged Australorps, with pics, I hope....

Quote:
Going on the pics, I thought Barred Rock. Then when reading your quote above, I would definately say barred rocks.
BR's are my fave. I have a pen full of 8 boys (1 girl) that were packing peanuts with my silkies. They are so sweet!! It is my fave breed. (The BRs are by far more sweet and gentle and unafraid then all my silkies which we handled ALOT. We didnt handle the brs much at all as I knew I couldnt keep that many boys)

I have 2 australorps, and they are curious from afar and very standoffish. The barred rocks come to me when I open their door, try to get as close to me as they can when I walk by the run.

Chickens are
love.gif
when they are our own. My flock are no beauties but we love them. Yours are very pretty.

About those Buff Orps, I took a closer look at leg color when I got back from tai chi this afternoon. They are very light, and I suppose more while than yellow. I'll get some pics later today. The "blondes" are the bossiest and biggest of my little baby flock, the giants have the biggest feet, the wellsummers are the most adventurous and flighty. What a bunch of personalities!

You should PM "aveca" about your Australorps... she is pretty knowledable about the breed... inside and out. She tries to tell me... but I would hate to repeat it to you wrong.
wink.png
Got a question about Delawares? lol

Don't feel too bad Barred rocks are a great breed (good layers, friendly, fun). Don't think of it as having to settle for something inferior rather as more of a lateral move from one good breed to another
smile.png

Last edited:
I know barred rocks are cool, and I love my two barred babies. But, they are just not what I had in mind. My flock will be much more "tweedy" in appearance than the nice simple contrasts I had in mind with 4 black birds, two gold, and 4 gold patterned ones. I'm just a grumpy frustrated artiste, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom