My apple tree arrived broken in half!

It sounds like you would only get one variety if it makes it. Make sure to eventually prune back anything that sprouts below the graft line since that would be rootstock which won’t produce the same variety. I wouldn’t prune it back immediately though since the foliage will still feed the tree while it’s getting established. I would also try contacting the company again. I would also recommend leaving a review on a site such as Dave’s garden so others don’t buy from them. The way they shipped it is absolutely ridiculous.

It sounds like you would only get one variety if it makes it. Make sure to eventually prune back anything that sprouts below the graft line since that would be rootstock which won’t produce the same variety. I wouldn’t prune it back immediately though since the foliage will still feed the tree while it’s getting established. I would also try contacting the company again. I would also recommend leaving a review on a site such as Dave’s garden so others don’t buy from them. The way they shipped it is absolutely ridiculous.
I found Dave’s garden afterward, and it’s poorly rated there. Also there’s no foliage at all lol. Just sticks and roots.

x2, I don't buy from any online garden retailer without checking there first.
I found that site afterward, but it’s fantastic. A family friend, like honorary mother in law, recommended a place she had bought from. She had a booklet, and I ordered roses. I was so sure they would die.

First off, they came bare roots, I bent them into fitting in a large sized cinderblock and filled it with potting soil (I’m no expert and they looked dead anyway so I was lazy). 2 days later I find my dog running around the yard with one. He had chewed it and removed the thorns, he broke all branches, crunching on them. They were bare dry sticks to begin with, no leaves. I replanted it, and hoped for the best. They were flowering by august, not a lot but they had like 2 roses each and had started up the trellis. This year they’re continuing up the trellis nicely. I was so happy, I decided to order from them again when I got the booklet.

Turns out it was a different place altogether. I just got on a mailing list. I never would have spent $50 on a tree online if I didn’t think it was the place I ordered from. I should have checked first. I started to worry when I got like 10 more booklets from different places. They all look pretty much the same. I checked my email and verified. Hahaha so dumb right?

Turns out it was a different place altogether. I just got on a mailing list. I never would have spent $50 on a tree online if I didn’t think it was the place I ordered from. I should have checked first. I started to worry when I got like 10 more booklets from different places. They all look pretty much the same. I checked my email and verified. Hahaha so dumb right?
Not at all - they prey on people not realizing that 1 company is dba under different names, to sucker you in. I almost placed an order out of a catalogue for some plants, because the photos looked so appealing and it seemed like a good deal, then remembered I should check first, and found out the company had something like a 70% negative rating.

I hope you can salvage something out of your apple tree, doesn't hurt to try planting it and crossing your fingers. 🤞

@FloorCandy, I don't know of anyone who has one of those 5-in1 kinds of trees. They might be kind of a gimmick? I remember seeing them in catalogs long ago.

Here's how fruit trees are grown these days. They are grafted onto a vigorous root stock that might not be the same fruit. Dwarf fruit trees, especially, are done this way, to keep the tree small.

If you want an apple tree, I would advise buying one at a garden center, or even better, a nursery. You'll spend the same amount, or even more, but you'll have a better quality tree. One caveat: You have to be able to move it, as it will probably be potted. So you may need help to get it home.

One more thing about apples: They need another variety to help them pollinate. But even a crabapple will do.

@FloorCandy, I don't know of anyone who has one of those 5-in1 kinds of trees. They might be kind of a gimmick? I remember seeing them in catalogs long ago.

Here's how fruit trees are grown these days. They are grafted onto a vigorous root stock that might not be the same fruit. Dwarf fruit trees, especially, are done this way, to keep the tree small.

If you want an apple tree, I would advise buying one at a garden center, or even better, a nursery. You'll spend the same amount, or even more, but you'll have a better quality tree. One caveat: You have to be able to move it, as it will probably be potted. So you may need help to get it home.

One more thing about apples: They need another variety to help them pollinate. But even a crabapple will do.
The appeal of the 5 in 1 was that it is supposed to be self pollinating. I read some reviews of the 5 in 1 and it’s a mixed bag. I don’t have space for a bunch of trees to pollinate each other. I may order a couple of the limbless apple trees next year if this doesn’t work out.

like a 70% negative rating.
:eek:

@FloorCandy -sorry you got a broken tree! My FIL loves apple trees- he has over 100, mostly different varieties and he’s good at grafting, so he has grafted more than one kind into a rootstock to get a few “multiple variety” trees. So, it can work. However, I’ve never heard of shipping a tree in a bag!!!

:eek:

@FloorCandy -sorry you got a broken tree! My FIL loves apple trees- he has over 100, mostly different varieties and he’s good at grafting, so he has grafted more than one kind into a rootstock to get a few “multiple variety” trees. So, it can work. However, I’ve never heard of shipping a tree in a bag!!!
It was super strange, a big blue bag on my porch, it wasn’t just the tree, also 4 cherry bushes, 2 small orange trees, a small banana tree, some free bulbs, and some random unaddressed mail/ ads? Idk. All in a big blue plastic bag. My roses came in a box, with some free stuff in little bags taped to the inside of the box.

Floorcandy, when it comes to fruit trees if anything can go wrong it often does. I have a backyard orchard and nursery and lots of experience grafting multi cultivar trees. It is quite possible for you to salvage your tree and get it to produce mor than one type of apple. Plant the tree. If the one remaining graft lives great but if not let the rootstock sprout new branches. When those branches are pencil size you can use a very simple whip grafting technique to graft new branches from any good apple tree. This process takes a year or two but the potential rewards are great. It’s possible to turn that one broken tree into an entire orchard with the right care. Feel free to ask me any questions but don’t give up!

Back
Top Bottom