My apple tree arrived broken in half!

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I ordered a fancy 5 in 1 apple tree that is supposed to bear 5 different apple types, so it’s producing all season. I waited 2 months to get my order and it comes in a big blue bag, there’s someone’s junk mail in with it, just the worst! But since it wasn’t in a box, it broke! The whole top where all the branches are is broken off, I now have an approx 36 inch tall trunk, about the diamerter of a nickel, and one small branch up top. I’ve emailed the customer service, and didn’t even receive confirmation I sent in a ticket, and I called and the number is constantly busy. I haven’t heard a busy signal in like 20 years. I assume I’m screwed as far as a replacement goes, is there hope this one will grow? Last year my dog dug up my new roses twice, chewed all the thorns off, and ran around the yard with them like he was carrying a stick. It took a while but they rooted and grew. I’m hoping there’s hope for my apple tree, it was like $50-60 of I remember ☹️

The top stick I put in moist dirt has buds!
BCA58EAC-1633-4E9F-A07A-40831E0259C6.jpeg

@FloorCandy, I don't know of anyone who has one of those 5-in1 kinds of trees. They might be kind of a gimmick? I remember seeing them in catalogs long ago.

Here's how fruit trees are grown these days. They are grafted onto a vigorous root stock that might not be the same fruit. Dwarf fruit trees, especially, are done this way, to keep the tree small.

If you want an apple tree, I would advise buying one at a garden center, or even better, a nursery. You'll spend the same amount, or even more, but you'll have a better quality tree. One caveat: You have to be able to move it, as it will probably be potted. So you may need help to get it home.

One more thing about apples: They need another variety to help them pollinate. But even a crabapple will do.
The appeal of the 5 in 1 was that it is supposed to be self pollinating. I read some reviews of the 5 in 1 and it’s a mixed bag. I don’t have space for a bunch of trees to pollinate each other. I may order a couple of the limbless apple trees next year if this doesn’t work out.

:eek:

@FloorCandy -sorry you got a broken tree! My FIL loves apple trees- he has over 100, mostly different varieties and he’s good at grafting, so he has grafted more than one kind into a rootstock to get a few “multiple variety” trees. So, it can work. However, I’ve never heard of shipping a tree in a bag!!!
It was super strange, a big blue bag on my porch, it wasn’t just the tree, also 4 cherry bushes, 2 small orange trees, a small banana tree, some free bulbs, and some random unaddressed mail/ ads? Idk. All in a big blue plastic bag. My roses came in a box, with some free stuff in little bags taped to the inside of the box.

It sounds like you would only get one variety if it makes it. Make sure to eventually prune back anything that sprouts below the graft line since that would be rootstock which won’t produce the same variety. I wouldn’t prune it back immediately though since the foliage will still feed the tree while it’s getting established. I would also try contacting the company again. I would also recommend leaving a review on a site such as Dave’s garden so others don’t buy from them. The way they shipped it is absolutely ridiculous.
I found Dave’s garden afterward, and it’s poorly rated there. Also there’s no foliage at all lol. Just sticks and roots.

like a 70% negative rating.
:eek:

@FloorCandy -sorry you got a broken tree! My FIL loves apple trees- he has over 100, mostly different varieties and he’s good at grafting, so he has grafted more than one kind into a rootstock to get a few “multiple variety” trees. So, it can work. However, I’ve never heard of shipping a tree in a bag!!!

prune the jagged broken top off the rootstock. In fact cut it where you want tree to sprout it’s first new branches. Somewhere between 18 to 30 inches from soil level. It’s all up to the roots now. The older and larger your apple tree roots are the more quickly any apple grafted onto it will bear fruit. One of my first grafts on a mature tree bore fruit just 12 months later. Fruit in two to three years from grafting is common so contrary to popular belief it does not take very long, compared to planting a new tree.

It’s been another week, and I’m shocked at the progress. Everything I ordered is flourishing. The ground cherry bushes, 3 of 4 have leaves all over now, one is still a bare stick, but I see the buds starting, and expect leaves in a day or 2. All of the blueberries are showing new growth in their pots, when they are good and strong I’ll put them in the ground, I have them in those dirt pots so I can plant them without disturbing them.

The apple tree is amazing me every day:

The broken off crown is sprouting leaves like crazy, does this mean it is rooting? I don’t know how to check, A site said pull gently and see if there’s resistance from new roots, I don’t know how hard to pull, I don’t want to kill any of the roots if they’re down there, I should have put it in something transparent.
C4EA0AEB-FA6B-4D38-A487-1F8778BEFFFA.jpeg

The rest of it, with the roots, is also sprouting leaves on its 1 branch, I’m starting to be hopeful that I can try to graft branches from the crown part onto the root part, next year, and I’ll have 2 multi variety apple trees.
6D6EC414-9FA3-4E45-ADC2-5E54F94DA8D4.jpeg

Is anything left attached to the trunk from the broken branches?
One small stick is still attached, at best I would have 1 variety. But the top broken part has lots of branches, I read that I can try to reroot it in moist soil from the branch. So I cut a fresh slice from the bottom, and I stuck the branch in a pot of potting soil and I put it out in indirect sun, I’ll take it in at night because it’s cold still, and I’ll hope for the best, at least it gives me something to do. I’ll plant the stupid trunk with 1 branch and see if it grows as well.

Back
Top Bottom