My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
I just candled 5 eggs out of the 22 I have incubating, and 4/5 are showing definite development here on day 4! Even though I checked the blastoderms before setting, that is far from an exact science, and I was a little anxious about my fertility rates mainly due to my fat, inexperienced roosters. Happy to report though that in a random test of 5 eggs that 80% were fertile.

Congrats on the fertility! You probably did better then FR this spring! They had to delay my order do to poor hatch rates. I've been meaning to ask and seeing how I finally found the thread again this is the perfect time! Have you noticed the NH hens not molting regularly? Been wondering if it is something I am doing or a trait of this line. My oldest of these NHs are 2 now and havent molted since they hit full hen.

@SheaLoner none of my are a year old yet, and they are kinda lookin rough right now from breeding, so it is hard to say. Sorry I couldn't help!

FR totally changed their site, and no longer are offering NHs under the Henry Noll name at all it seems.

I think that they bought out the hatchery that produced them. Probably rolled them all under their banner, but will have to see what my batch looks like when it gets here.

@SheaLoner
FR totally changed their site, and no longer are offering NHs under the Henry Noll name at all it seems.
Yes it's very annoying! That's one of the reasons I didn't order. If I'm not sure the quality of them I'd rather wait and see if the birds are the same quality.. Or wait and try to get eggs/chicks from someone like Tre3hugger.
I'm just sticking with what I already have to experiment with for now.

Back
Top Bottom