My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
@aart it came with the chain, I added the pulley

20220413_141413.jpg

20220413_141424.jpg

Old coop turned brooder
20220413_141308.jpg

Doesn't it spin with a single hanger?
Only at its lowest point. When I raise it a bit the chain rests against the shelf behind (hard to see perspective in pic) and keeps it still. Right now, at its lowest, I have that big log in there to keep it from movin. You can see the log and heater touching in the left corner of the pic.

Played chicken cupid today and set up some groups. In my chicken tractor I have a NH group of 1 cockerel 2 pullets and in the breeding coop is a group of Delawares, 3 pullets 1 cockerel. Gonna leave them like that for a few days and then remove the cockerels, put all the girls back in the breeding coop, and start collecting eggs. My next incubation will be all pure breeds, with plans to keep a few girls of each breed and keep a few/sell a few pullets.

In other news chicks are all doing well with 15/15 still alive at 4 days old. Very much looing forward to seeing how they grow out, and what the sex of the 4 NHs will end up being.

Pics of everything to come tomorrow.

Played chicken cupid today and set up some groups. In my chicken tractor I have a NH group of 1 cockerel 2 pullets and in the breeding coop is a group of Delawares, 3 pullets 1 cockerel. Gonna leave them like that for a few days and then remove the cockerels, put all the girls back in the breeding coop, and start collecting eggs. My next incubation will be all pure breeds, with plans to keep a few girls of each breed and keep a few/sell a few pullets.

In other news chicks are all doing well with 15/15 still alive at 4 days old. Very much looing forward to seeing how they grow out, and what the sex of the 4 NHs will end up being.

Pics of everything to come tomorrow.
Did you notice any coloration differences in the NH? I'll need to go find it again, but supposeably NHs were originally sexable at hatch due to slight color variations.

Did you notice any coloration differences in the NH? I'll need to go find it again, but supposeably NHs were originally sexable at hatch due to slight color variations.
Honestly I was having a hard enough time telling them apart form the female se links when they went into the brooder. In the past cpl days they have grown tiny wing feathers though. I have been working all weekend but am off tomorrow nd plan to get a close loo at everyone then. Didn't know that about the NHs. I'll have to see if I can notice anything. Would love to see the link if you can find it!

ETA: Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom