My Babies Are 6 Weeks Old! But....

JudyH

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Gulf Coast of Alabama
I have two that I'm beginning to wonder if they are ROOS.... I purchased a dozen pullet day old chicks. I've heard that there is still a possibility when you buy pullets that you'll get a couple of roos.

The first one is a Barred Rock. The front of the feet are "washed" and dark. But the chick is so much larger than the other 2 I have and is more aggressive. Here's a pic at 6 weeks old. Do you think this is a pullet or a roo? It's also a little bit lighter in color than the other two I have:

sdc10377.jpg

Here's a pic of the same chick with others in my flock -- notice the other two Barred Rocks. They are darker in color and smaller. Also, the comb size is different on the large one versus the smaller ones. Is there any chance that a ROO Barred Rock could have the front legs "washed" in the darker color?

sdc10356.jpg

And the 2nd chicken I have a question about is this Ameraucana.... it is the largest chicken I have in my dozen. It is much more aggressive toward the other chicks and flies at them, fluffs out the feathers around it's neck, and just looks like it is built differently. Here's two pics of him/her at six weeks old (when I picked it out, it was a chipmunk Ameraucana):

sdc10369.jpg

Here's a pic of it with two of my Barred Rocks:

sdc10379.jpg

Thanks SpeckledHen... that really doesn't surprise me because of the way he acts. Plus he is lighter in color too. So I guess it's not 100% accurate if a Barred Rock has the "washed" dark front of the legs?

The Barred Rock in your profile pic is beautiful!!! Are the BR roos pretty nice in comparison to other breeds?

There are varying degrees of dark wash. Cockerels can have some or none. You have to take the lighter color and leg color together.
That is my crippled rooster, Zane. His brother is the flock leader, but Zane is very special. I am partial to BR roosters. Have three currently, all brothers, but the youngest is going to live with lockedhearts tomorrow. Big brother Dutch beats him up too much. I love these guys.

Back
Top Bottom