1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my baby chick has a growth on its head

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by billyfarmmom, Jan 31, 2016.

1. billyfarmmom

billyfarmmom New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    my baby chick has sand fleas and i took them off its head. it has now developed a growth on the left side of its head which has come down to its eye which has closed. what can i use to help my chick? please help.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome to BYC.

So sorry about your problem and wish I had an answer.

But , I see you have also posted under emergencies and hopefully some one with experience will offer some help there.

A picture of the chick can help, but I think you have a number of posts before allowed to upload one.
    In the meantime - add more information about the situation - where the chicks are housed, the extent of the flea issue, and a detailed description of the swelling or sore.

3. gander007

gander007 Overrun With Chickens

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Ya must live in the desert or the chickens came from the desert as I have more then on run in with sand fleas but I have never had a problem with them eating the chickens or the chickens having sours on the skin but you can go to the local feed store and get some dip and no I cant remember the name of the soap to add to the water but the feed store should have it or e-bay also has it and ya just add it to the water and you will need at least three 5 gal buckets one to dip the chickens in with the soap and two for the rinse then let the chickens dry in a warm place ....

BYC has a very nice learning center [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Without a photo it's like trying to e x amine him in the dark. We can't see anything. I'm wondering if he has an infection from their bites and needs vet treatment before it affects his eye.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I agree.

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear your little chick has a problem. I hope someone on the emergency/illness forum has been able to help you.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by