My Baby Girl hurt her leg again: Limping, tail feathers down...photos included please help!

TheChips

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Thank you in advance for your responses

Last time I posted about Baby Girl's leg she had hurt her right one. She healed up fine and that injury seemed like she just landed on something hard and bruised the bottom of her foot.

THIS TIME

Im not sure what happened but I came out there today to check on my flock and she was the only one that didnt come running to me. Usually she's the first. She was taking a dust bath in the dirt and had a hard time getting up.

Shes limping and her tail feathers are down

Shes already alseep for the night but as far as tomorrow. What can I do to help her? Last time I put her in a coop for a few days so she can recover.

Is there anything safe that I can rub on her to ease the pain?

Shes eating and drinking normal and doesnt seem to be losing weight.

Please help with any suggestions thank you. Here are some 7mb photos so you can see her LEFT foot.

To ease the pain, you can take a cup of water and fill a small bowl and then add 2 table spoons of epsom salts. This is a great pain killer. Also, make her happy by letting her out to free range every day. Give her treats such as mealworms or Harvest Delight. Mostly give her losts of love.

Thank you this morning she was eating and drinking normal. I put the food in a few places so wherever she's at she can access it easier

If you soak, just make sure it is tepid water, not hot or cold. Don't use ice compresses, etc. Don't use any Ben Gay or any numbing product containing "caine" in the ingredients as they are toxic to chickens.

We have a rooster who had a leg fracture who took about 6 weeks to heal, another who had a sprain, and that one was closer to only a bout a week or so. Sometimes they fly off of something and land roughly. How high is your roost?

Last edited:
I have their coop inside the shed and they have a roost on top of that its very short just about 6-8 inches off the roof

I think the coop itself is 41 in height

Back
Top Bottom