Wyandotte with hurt leg

Rwilson49

Chirping
Oct 31, 2023
One of my 3 months old Dottie’s has hurt her leg somehow. She is limping and the joint seems slightly swollen. She can jump up to the rooster but getting down seems to hurt her. Any suggestion of what to do to help her. She eats well and manages to stay up with the other girls.

Do you have any pictures? Is she holding the leg up to her body or putting some weight on it? To force her to rest the leg, I would leave her with her flock, and place her in a wire dog crate with food and water. She may have sprained a tendon, and that can take a few weeks to heal.

I’ll try and get a picture. She holds it up some but not all the time. Mainly thinking it has something to do with the swollen joint. It’s just a little bigger than the other.

Do you have any pictures? Is she holding the leg up to her body or putting some weight on it? To force her to rest the leg, I would leave her with her flock, and place her in a wire dog crate with food and water. She may have sprained a tendon, and that can take a few weeks to heal.
I got a screen shot in the coop and shows her legs on the camera. You can see the joint on the left is a little bigger. She does hold it up a lot and has a limp when she walks.

Attachments

• 7D6136B2-B65D-48F0-8411-9AD20AEFB858.jpeg
    7D6136B2-B65D-48F0-8411-9AD20AEFB858.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 5
How do the ankle joints look? Is the right one swollen?
Her is a picture I took this morning you can see the leg on the left is swollen at the joint. I did a screen shot from the camera in the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_1046.jpeg
    IMG_1046.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4
We have taken the perched out of the coop they like in the daytime and I’m checking my camera in the morning for when they start waking up and I’m going in and place her on the floor. We have tried to eliminate anything outside she may jump up or down on.

When I have a chicken with an injury, I usually place them inside a wire dog crate or hospital pen with food and water, and bedding. But I always keep them inside the coop where they can remain part of the flock. Every situation is different, so we always have decide how to handle it best our own way.

Back
Top Bottom