My babysitter gave me a bunch of feeders - which ones should I use?

forevercheepers

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 26, 2007
IMG_0251.jpg

Here they are. Sorry for the bad picture, my mom's digital camera is broken so I had to use my videocamera. I'm getting 3 day old chicks on Wednesday, and I'm wondering:

Is there any reason why I couldn't use one of the small metal feeders without a top for water for the chicks for the first couple weeks or so? They're small, so wouldn't it be easy just to pop them in and out of the brooder a couple of times a day every time you needed to change the water? The big waterer just seems so bulky and unecessary for 3 little tiny chicks.

Also, what's with the jar one? The small ones seem like alot less hassle to clean....do you need a jar on top for water, or feed, or both?

I'm kind of a newbie to chickens, so any advice would be much appreciated.
wink.png

Last edited:
I would just use the two small ones. One for feed and one for water. That's what I use in mine it's a lot easier to take out to clean. Good luck & congrats on your new babies

I don't use the jar I just use the bottom part

here is a picture of the long feeder and a small red water jar in mine.

102_0355.jpg

Last edited:
The three round ones and the flat long one are starter crumble feeders. The white taller one is a waterer. Your baby chicks will drink so much more than you realize. I advise that you use the large waterer and maybe put some small pebbles in the trough to they can get water but can't get too deep into the trough (to prevent drowning). Keep your feeders and water full and keep them clean. They will eat alot (I mean alot) in the first few weeks. The last baby chicks I had doubled their size in a week. They grow fast. Enjoy your chicks. Good luck.

P.S. Before you use any of those feeders and waterers make sure you scrub them well and sanitize them. If you have nothing else for sanitizing you can dilute bleach with water and soak them it to make sure they are sanitized and super clean for your babies.

Back
Top Bottom