My Barred Rock lays large Green Eggs

kycklingmamma

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
My slice of Heaven on Earth...
Hi all.

I have a weird question, hoping might have an answer to.
We just accuired a Barred Rock pullet from lady that had no idea what breeds she have or didn't have.
I was told Summer, the barred Rock awas just that, a barred rock, but to our amazement she just started laying eggs a few days ago, and they are green. What in the world....

She has the normal barrinf, yellow legs, small pea comb (?), and is rather fullbodied. Does anybody have any idea as to what happened? What cross bred might she be.

I aslo have another pullet, Vida Blue, that is huge. She has legs that are at least 2-3" longer than my older Orpingtons, and she has feather all the way down her legs and on all of her toes. Her coloring is pale grey, with brown splashes on longer feathers. Her legs are bluish/grey and her feet are the biggest feet I have ever seen on a chicken.
She is not quite ready to lay eggs yet, but when she does, it will be interesting.
Any ideas as to what she might be....heinz 57?

Thanks, Petra

What you have is a BR/EE or Ameraucana cross, most likely. I have a pullet who looks like a BR, just with a modified pea comb and whitish legs. Her sister in CA lays nice green eggs. If you post pics we can tell you what Vida is. Here is my BR/Blue Ameraucana cross girl, Panda:
DCP_1560.jpg

she is probably crossbred if she has a pea comb, with an auracana or ameraucana. they both have pea combs.

sounds like a neat bird...pictures!!!!

not sure about the Heinz 57...pictures of them would really help, there are so many people on this board that can help...they have helped me so much and with a willing spirit!

Thank you so much for your response, I have been researching Summer and that is what I thought she might be.
I am downloading pics right now on Summer and Vida and as soon as I get them up, please anybodies guess is greatly appreciated.

Here is some pics. First i think this is of Vida Blue,
my giant mutt looking chicken. I measured her and she is 22" tall from the ground to comb...pretty large for being about 5 months old. No eggs yet but when we get them I post pics of those as well. The next pic is of Summer or Barred Rock something. She has like I said a pea comb and lays large pale green eggs, and she has only laid eggs for 4 days, so she is a newbie at the egglaiyng thing.

Vida
th_IMGP9371.png

Summer
th_IMGP9367.jpg

Back
Top Bottom