My beastly trio aka What are these girls that are supposed to be RIRs?

Deffinatly Red Broilers...ive had them in the past...never live long to get to see them lay thow...there tooo fat...

The only reason I'm hesitant to believe they are broilers is because they are big ALL around - big fat legs as well as the rest of them. They do seem to have big breasts though. The only thing is that I spoke to the guy at the hatchery (I think it was called Clearview in PA??) and he said they were RIR - that's one pretty big mistake to make. Now I don't know what to do - process them while they are still healthy or wait to see if they lay, and maybe risk them dying first?
he.gif

I say red broiler too. They don't look like a RIR or NH should look. I don't think the Red Broiler/Rangers are supposed to be all breast like the Cornish X. I believe they're more like a classic broiler with more proportionate legs and thighs. They could even be a Ranger cross.

I don't think that's such a big mistake for a hatchery to make. Different varieties of red chicks could be fairly indistinguishable if you weren't paying that close of attention. Heck, I've got a flock of "Welsummers" with a rooster that has white skin and feathered legs, a hen with slate-colored legs and another hen that looks like an NH with the Duckwing pattern laid over the top. And, they came from a breeder. I really don't think it's too far out there to think that somebody mixed up Red Broilers with some other shipment of red chicks. That just my opinion.

Quote:
I'm going to call the hatchery yet again today. Maybe I can send them a pic and they can let me know. I don't know if they even sell meat birds. And, FWIW, these chicks were never actually red - always buff and brown with chipmunk stripes as babies (that's one of them in my avatar).

Well, if they are broilers I'll be sad to have them processed, but it will give me an excuse to get some more chicks
smile.png

Last edited:
They sort of look like some I have that are about 17 wks give or take... and one is exceptionally large I think. She is the biggest I have with maybe the exception of the grown FBCM hens.
60599_red_hen.jpg

They were sold to me as EE mix hens

The OP's birds are just a cross breed.
There not in no way a R.I. Red, New Hampshire, or a Red Broiler.

R.I. Reds and New Hampshires should Black in them not Blue and the OP's birds have some lacing in the feathering....

If they were a Red Broiler they should a lot more filled out and have a bigger breast. (like a white rock cross)

What hatchery are they from?

Chris

Last edited:
Couldnt Find a PIcture of Red Broilers....But I found a Video...and I am almost 100% shure they are broilers...

Quote:
I know the Red Broilers I seen and had were a large framed bird almost if not the same size as a Cornish Cross.
In fact I had some Black Broilers that was the same way...
They could be some type of "Freedom Rangers" but I wouldn't call them a true Broiler... ( not compared to a Cornish Cross, Red or Black Broiler I seen and had. )

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom