My beautiful duck, Henry

LBP1313

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
St Petersburg, FL
Can someone please tell me about the pom pom on Henry's head? It was tiny when he was little, and has grown as he grows. This photo is when he was about two month's old. I know he is a white pekin (I actually don't know if he is a he or a she yet) and he is a beautiful, sweet duck...but I have never seen one his hair-do.

My signature is a hyperlink to a thread I created discussing the effect of the crested duck gene. It's at the bottom of all of my posts.

I was just reading thru it. Very good information. Henry is a pet and not for breeding.

Now I am twice as upset....the local pet store sold my duck Henry and a baby white leghorn hen, Ralphie, to my daughter just over two months ago. Come to find out Ralph is a rooster and their is a noise ordinance where I live. Now I learn about crested ducks....that doesn't make me love Henry any less....I happen to think he is the most beautiful duck I have ever seen with such a sweet nature. The two sleep together and follow each other around. There was no way to separate them so I had to find a new home for both animals that I fell in love with. We took them to their new home yesterday and I am missing them so much. I never thought a duck or a rooster could have such sweet personalities.

Fortunately we gave our sweet pets to a wonderful family that has raised ducks and chickens for years. Henry and Ralph are pets for their two daughters and are spoiled rotten.

Thanks for the information.

Sounds like they all have a great home with you! Hopefully they will all live a long prosperous life. Many crested ducks never exhibit neurological issues. That thread was only to let potential owners of the effects that could happen down the road.

I think it is great that you posted the info and links. The more you get information like that out there, the more awareness you will create.

The unfortunate thing is that I warned my daughter of puppy mills and such. She loves to go in a look and spend time with the animals. She holds the bunnies, plays with anything the pet store lets her play with. I have warned her over and over...she finally gets its!

So this pet store sells us a rooster that they said was a hen and they sell crested ducks with no warning. And the cityin which they sell these animals has a noise ordinance. They didn't even sell my daughter the right equipment.

This store has going to wish they never met me.....I fell in love with two pets that I could not keep because of city ordinances....I am a social worker that advocates for people's rights.... I will be doing a lot of advocating..,.and it sure won't be for this store!!!!

Thanks for the great info!

Back
Top Bottom