My beautiful girl just died.... Please any advice!!!

sausym

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Yesterday one of my speckled sussex seemed sleepy, but was walking around with the rest of the girls, but today when I let them out to roam all she did was sit down and sleep. I tried hand feeding her some water and yogurt which she took, but I had to keep waking her up to do it. Around 3pm i made her a pen in the garage so I could keep her away from the others, and had been checking on her every hour.. Its 6:30pm now and I just went in and she was dead!! :( I am so sad she was 16 weeks old and this all came on so fast. I am so confused as to what could have killed her, and now I am worried about the rest of my girls. Please give me any advice you have as to what this could have been. She did poop once in the garage pen and it was watery and had a white paste look.

I am interested as well - I have one that is lethargic. I have her in a dog crate in my house.

Any chance that there could have been fumes in your garage? I believe that birds are very sensitive to air quality.

I don't think that could have been it.. we don't park cars or anything in the garage and its very clean.. And she hadn't even been in there long, she had spent most of the day in the yard sleeping in one spot. I am just so sad. Its like this all took place in 1 day!! Now i am worried if whatever it was is going to happen to the rest of my girls..

How long has yours been acting lethargic?

How long had you had her? She may have had kidney or reproductive issues, a bad heart, or if you recently got her , she could have been exposed to coccidia strains that she wasn't immune to. So sorry that you lost her. I have lost hens for no apparent reason, and it has peaked my interest in learning about chicken illnesses. The longer we have chickens, it seems we will lose one now and then.

Not sure. She has always been one of the more docile girls in the flock. I started worrying about her yesterday. I lost one on Thursday, so this is not a fluke.

Based on Eggcessive's advice on my post (thank you!), I will start treating with corid tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom