My best buddy Barnaby- rescue

Got some closer pictures of the wing during his last nap:

Omg, what a little cutie he is! <3 A little bit of an oddball, sure, but still ridiculously adorable. ^-^

Looks like he might have a touch of angelwing in the one that sticks out, it is very easy to fix when they are this young. You'll just want to wrap it for a few days or so. There are many pics and instructions on how to wrap wings if you do a search here, or even a Google search. Good luck with your special little duck! :)

Have you supplemented his diet with extra B vitamins? I would try that. If you are interested, here is something I wrote up based on what I have read and heard.

You have some options.

I would go with brewer's yeast. Forgive me for using capital letters, but for anyone else who may casually look over this thread, NOT baking yeast, NOT winemaking yeast. Brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement and it provides niacin and a few other vitamins.

Generally, folks who supplement with brewer’s yeast use a tablespoon per cup of food.

Ducklings need about three times the niacin chicks do. And some ducklings get leg problems or seizures if they don't have enough niacin.

If you cannot find the brewer's yeast, or if you happen to have (here come the capital letters again, please forgive me) PLAIN niacin - NOT no-flush, NOT timed release, then dissolve 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for the duckling’s drinking water.

Another approach is to use B Complex capsules, and use the B3 - niacin - levels as a guide. Again, 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Keep the little one on the supplements for about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it only takes a few days to see improvement.

You can also see how it went for Qwackers and Bentley from these threads.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

His issues definitely didn't look like any of the niacin deficiencies, but I've kept it in mind. What if i do a lower dose trial, do you think?

Amiga's dosage suggestions are what is recommended for all ducklings. (This is assuming you are feeding a chick starter and not a duckling feed that already has the recommended levels.) Even if you don't think the symptoms are related, it won't hurt your duck to get some Vitamin B.

I'm guessing that some of your ducklings problems are a result of being ripped from his egg. He may even have neurological problems resulting from trauma; this could be the cause of his odd behavior. I would be more concerned about vomiting and discharge from the nares. Ducks don't have stomachs so they can't technically vomit. Probably what is happening is an issue with his crop. Does he eat a lot in one sitting? Does he 'vomit' often? Does he have access to plenty of grit? Discharge from the nares could be a sign or respiratory issues. Have you noticed any breathing issues?

Well done for getting him to this point. It couldn't have been easy for either of you.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom