My Bielefelder Rooster

JoCoKS

Chirping
May 13, 2019
I hatched some Bielefelder eggs and got one very large rooster (an only child) on 1-1-2020 who is driving me crazy. He is one month older then the rest of the his family. I have separated him from the little rooster and the 3 hens because he jumps around like he is crazy and I am afraid he will hurt the others in a large brooder. Are all roosters like this or is he just crazy? Another thing about him that drives me crazy nuts is when I give them a bunch meal worms, spaghetti, scrambled eggs, etc. he picks at the food so fast he misses it and keeps on pecking till he gets what he wants only if the rest of his family did not jump in and ate everything before he could. Is he partially blind or does he have some other eye problems?

The little rooster could not get out of the egg shell till I helped him and when he got out it looked like he was swimming with his wings and feet both moving. I read on the Internet not to help them get out of the egg shell and I think he has had all the different problems because I let him work another day till I could not stand watching the chick get out of the egg shell so I helped him out. I blame myself for his problems because I did not help him for 24 hours. When he was out I thought he would die for sure but a lady, Brenda that raises chickens told me to put him under the chick heater and very shortly he was up and running. He has not grown as fast as his sisters and I am worried about him especially since he breaths thru his open beak. Can anyone give me some advise about this cute little guy that I like?

I have had chickens as pets since I was a child and they always brought me a lot of happiness till this last year. My 3 very sweet and lovable Rhode Island Reds disappeared over three different days early in the morning leaving no feathers behind and making me very sick and my wife the big time baker very unhappy because there would be no more eggs and even though they were 3.5 years old they were still laying eggs like they did when they were young. Does anyone have an idea as to what happened to them? A person could open the heavy chain link fence gate and get in but not an animal. I have netting all around like they put up to keep the birds out of fruit trees or gardens and it has not been disturb. Any ideas, I think some one stole my 3 girls?

I next raised 5 Salmon Faverolles that are the some of the sweetest chickens you can find but my wife does not like the small eggs. I came home and was going out to check on my girls when a great big hawk flew off leaving me two dead hens. Thankfully, the one I call Sweetie was still alive and well. I was fixing some cedar shingles my home that our daughter's dog ripped off the house using my left arm to hold the shingles in place and all of a sudden one of the Faverolles was resting on my arm. Little be little we got very close so I named her Sweetie even thought her siblings are very close in being Sweeties themselves.

This was a very rotten year since I lost 5 of my hens that were very important to me since I am permanently disabled and stuck and home since 1996 then having my spine destroyed in 2015 by a drunk with a suspended license for drunken driving who reared my SUV really leaving me more permanently disabled and in a lot of pain. The only other company I have is my wife of 43 years so it can very lonely when she is at work. She was never to work outside the home because we felt she had the most important job in the family raising our 4 children. Since I could no longer work she had to get a job to help pay the bills and provide the family health insurance.
Since I was a child I never locked up my chickens at night and never had a problem with them going all over the place. My first chicken would get on the back of my German Shepard and they would go every place in the neighborhood. I am 71 years old and I hate this change and our stupid government for deciding to declare the hawks and endangered species when the farmers have been trying to get rid of them since they settled this country causing a lot of problems for people with small dogs like my neighbor with her new baby worried about her little dogs.

Back
Top Bottom