My "Big Girl" is sick and I don't know what to do

rlynds

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Buskirk, NY
[/IMG]
My "Big Girl" has a horrible cough that makes her almost sound like a turkey. I just noticed it yesterday and separated her from the others today. She also stretches her neck up with her mouth open but doesn't make any noise. Please help

I have a video but I don't know how to post it. I have another one who just started doing it too but not near as severe

Oh, dear, bad news. Is it like rattly breathing? Quarantine those two right now. Put them in a pen or cage together, it doesnt matter, but get them away from the flock. and then sterilize everything you can that the flock uses. Hurry. Use bleach or Oxine, if you can get it quickly, (Oxine is so much better) and sterilize all your feeders and waterers, and spray the disinfectant around their living quarters. You need to find out what this is, because it can kill the flock. If its rattly breathing, it might be ILT. Or CRD. Hope for CRD.

Last edited:
Get them started eating well. Give the sick ones a little oatmeal mixed with their food. Or yogurt, fruit, tomato, anything. What other symptoms do they have? Swollen eyes, discharge, unusual odor, diarhea, lameness, anything??? Start checking now to see what your resources are. If you have an avian vet that's best, but if not, you can check with the Chicken Doctor at www.firststatevetsupply.com. He can maybe advise you and he also sells meds, he's an expert and is very good. Ask the feed store what they suggest for an antibiotic. You need to hurry, because this is an emergency. Look for symptoms, and let us know.

She kept stretching her neck up with her mouth open...almost as if she was gagging. Today she was just laying down she would hardly even move. We picked up some antibiotics (duraamycin) at tsc today. She wouldn't drink without assistance. Then tonight She started having seizures and died. I now have two other chickens away from the flock. One just has gurgled breathing and the other one has a slight cough ... Not near as severe as Big Girl. They are still moving around and drinking. I have 48 chicks coming in two weeks and want to nip this quick!

I haven't seen any swelling or redness and have not noticed any odor. I did notice two days ago at least one has diareaha

yes, get a necropsy. Quickly. It does sound like it might be ILT. Make sure your chicks are fully vaccinated including an ILT dead virus (I think it's the dead one that does not make them carriers, but you need to check). ILT kills quickly and it is extremely contagious. Get some Oxine, seriously...not the kind you mist, but the kind without crystals that you can just mix in water. There are several vendors that sell these things.. First state sells the vaccine for ILT which, if that's what it is, you will need for your flock. Before you get the vaccine for your existing flock though, you need to have the necropsy confirm what it is. And it might take awhile. Your vet can refer you or call your State ag department. Once you get the Oxine, mist everything under the sun, including the birds themselves, by mixing about 1/4 cup in a gallon of water and put in a spray bottle. You can put a few drops in their drinking water too. Do it as often as possible. Sterilize everything you possibly can and keep doing it. Until you get the oxine,use bleach, but Oxine is ten times more effective.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom