My bird has the bird form of Mycoplasma, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fairyloop5, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sobek

Sobek Songster

Aug 12, 2018
    orlando florida
    I was told to cull many birds by doctors because it was the "HUMANE" thing to do and my she didn't have a chance. 1 year later she's still alive and she's the sweetest most beautiful chicken ever

2. Sobek

Sobek Songster

Aug 12, 2018
    orlando florida
    Don't test with vet... Test with state lab they can do it for a million dollars cheaper (if your state has a lab) im super advocate for state lab testing

Katonk and micstrachan like this.
  3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    All 50 states have a state lab. ;)
    Click there for a list >> Necropsy and disease testing lab info

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

And this is why I rarely come to emergencies anymore, to be honest, actually avoid this section now-the ones who refuse to hear facts about disease of avian species. If you have an old dog who can't see because of cataracts, cannot hear, has severe pain in its joints, you euthanize out of concern for the quality of life of that dog. To allow an animal to continue in that condition is cruel, not responsible as its owner. By the same token, a chicken keeper must sometimes make hard decisions for the good of that one bird, or to protect the rest of the flock from that one bird. No one said it was easy. It's not. It's heart-wrenching at times to do what is right for the good of your flock. But, responsible animal husbandry calls for it at the expense of your feelings.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a company that does testing for most respiratory diseases for $95. Most state labs may do it or be much less expensive. Sometimes a necropsy on a very sick bird who is sacrificed, might be the best, so that you get a complete report on what was wrong. There can be one disease or more than one including a secondary infection. Oops, here is the link:
    http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

townchicks, aart, Rammy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tesumph

Tesumph Enabler

Jul 10, 2015
    BCS, Texas
    My Coop
    I agree completely, but we have to take into account who we are talking to if we want to get a point across. I think OP might be young and hasn’t experienced this side of animal husbandry yet.

7. clucking with my chicken

clucking with my chicken Chirping

Mar 6, 2019
    UK
    Thank you! :wee:goodpost::yesss:

8. clucking with my chicken

clucking with my chicken Chirping

Mar 6, 2019
    UK
    Fairy loops I recommend taking your bird to the vet and if you can’t afford you keep her then pls send her to a new home cuz it’s all up to you but culling and ending a life in never an option

9. AviansLove

AviansLove Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    If she can't afford to take it to a vet she has every right to cull it. Like what doctors do if something happens with twins and they only have a chance to save 1 they choose the stronger twin because it well have the ability to live life normally. Chickens are important but unless you wanna risk having to kill all your birds then you kill or keep a closed flock, it is hard but it is life and we all have to face reality. For example if someone brings a sick contagious bird into the office it well be culled.

RiverStorm and Rammy like this.
  10. Katonk

Katonk Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    Texoma
    Lol flame wars.
    Nice.
    I'm out y'all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: