My black astros are on day 22?

Sachs_samantha

Hatching
Apr 16, 2024
I am in full panic mode. This is my first time trying an incubator. Can someone help me please what did I do wrong? Temp and humidity held steady and were on numbers it said.

I am in full panic mode. This is my first time trying an incubator. Can someone help me please what did I do wrong? Temp and humidity held steady and were on numbers it said.
okay, so first things first, deep breath, things happen, and you can't control everything with incubation, even in the best of circumstances. So, candle them, go into a dark room and with a flashlight check the fat end of the egg, see if the beak of the chick has pierced the air cell, and if he's chirping or moving. A good tap with the fingernail in the fat end will often make one wriggle and chirp. Also, if there is any external pips (the chick has pierced the eggshell with his egg tooth) than put that egg back and bump up the humidity. Another good idea is to take a meat thermometer and place it in the port/air hole of the incubator and compere it to its temp, the humidity is safe around 60-70%, and 99.5 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a wet sponge in there to bump humidity if needed. Many people would burn me at the stake for this, but I don't see an issue, and its never affected my hatches, is to take eggs out and candle, as it can show you if they were even fertile or not. And on occasion, a certain line or breed just takes a day or two longer to hatch.
Another deep breath and remember, what happens happens, and that's just the fact of it.
Hope this helps

okay, so first things first, deep breath, things happen, and you can't control everything with incubation, even in the best of circumstances. So, candle them, go into a dark room and with a flashlight check the fat end of the egg, see if the beak of the chick has pierced the air cell, and if he's chirping or moving. A good tap with the fingernail in the fat end will often make one wriggle and chirp. Also, if there is any external pips (the chick has pierced the eggshell with his egg tooth) than put that egg back and bump up the humidity. Another good idea is to take a meat thermometer and place it in the port/air hole of the incubator and compere it to its temp, the humidity is safe around 60-70%, and 99.5 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a wet sponge in there to bump humidity if needed. Many people would burn me at the stake for this, but I don't see an issue, and its never affected my hatches, is to take eggs out and candle, as it can show you if they were even fertile or not. And on occasion, a certain line or breed just takes a day or two longer to hatch.
Another deep breath and remember, what happens happens, and that's just the fact of it.
Hope this helps
Also, what model is your incubator, and I saw that this is your first time using one, have you hatched under a broody momma before?

Back
Top Bottom