My Black Laced Golden Wyandotte has suddenly developed a droopy tail?

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
I have two Golden Laced Wyandotte Pullets (I think they are pullets). They are 10 weeks old now, and recently one of them has developed a tail that droops down instead of pointing straight like the other one. It's very unattractive, but that's not the point :p.

She is acting normally. My entire flock has been fighting a very mild respiratory infection, which they are being treated for with Oxytetracycline as soon as it arrives (blame the buff Orpingtons that brought it here).

Is it possible that this droopy tail is a side effect of the infection? It's incredibly mild and doesn't even bother them. The only other thought is maybe my pullet is a surprise cockerel, which would be very unfortunate, but at least I would know it wasn't related to her health.

I can post pictures later if necessary. Thanks!

I had a GLW pullet a few years ago. She had a tail like you describe. But, she was totally healthy, never sick, and was a good egg layer. Sadly, she was lost to a fox. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

What would concern me is that it sounds from your post like this is a change, not just the way your bird has always been. Changes are something to be attentive to and keep note of. It would be best if you would go ahead and take/post the photos - not only can we help you with the tail issue and whether or not it is something of concern, but we can help you sort out the gender concern as well.

I had a GLW pullet a few years ago. She had a tail like you describe. But, she was totally healthy, never sick, and was a good egg layer. Sadly, she was lost to a fox. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

What would concern me is that it sounds from your post like this is a change, not just the way your bird has always been. Changes are something to be attentive to and keep note of. It would be best if you would go ahead and take/post the photos - not only can we help you with the tail issue and whether or not it is something of concern, but we can help you sort out the gender concern as well.

Yes. It was an overnight change. One day they are identical, the next one has a droopy tail. I will post pictures of both birds.

I have two Golden Laced Wyandotte Pullets (I think they are pullets). They are 10 weeks old now, and recently one of them has developed a tail that droops down instead of pointing straight like the other one. It's very unattractive, but that's not the point :p.

She is acting normally. My entire flock has been fighting a very mild respiratory infection, which they are being treated for with Oxytetracycline as soon as it arrives (blame the buff Orpingtons that brought it here).

Is it possible that this droopy tail is a side effect of the infection? It's incredibly mild and doesn't even bother them. The only other thought is maybe my pullet is a surprise cockerel, which would be very unfortunate, but at least I would know it wasn't related to her health.

I can post pictures later if necessary. Thanks!
<coughsintohand-mumbles> keeper who didn't quarantine

Agrees ..... pics would help. Full body side shot and close up of head/comb. Tho wynadottes have those flat combs, but color of comb might show gender.
Does tail droop or curve down?

<coughsintohand-mumbles> keeper who didn't quarantine

Agrees ..... pics would help. Full body side shot and close up of head/comb. Tho wynadottes have those flat combs, but color of comb might show gender.
Does tail droop or curve down?
<gagging-sobbing> I thought I quarantined long enough! They still caught it :I.

The feathers droop at the tip of the tail, but not radically, just enough to noticed. I'm going to take pictures when I get home.

Last edited:
Quote: LOL....Many respiratory 'bugs' can live on in any chicken without symptoms......then stress can let them bloom into visible illness, really hard to say where it originated, especially if it was mild. ...and true bio quarantine is hard to do. 100 feet for 30 days with no cross contamination form equipment clothing etc.

Anyway......looking forward to seeing pics of bird, am thinking tail feathers curved down and ends means cockerel. :(

Yah. I had then separated for two weeks , but I guess they weren't far enough away from the rest of flock. I'm writing from my phone at the moment bit when I get home I'll take some pictures. I'm thinking cockerel too now because it keeps chasing around my silkie :/

Yah. I had then separated for two weeks , but I guess they weren't far enough away from the rest of flock. I'm writing from my phone at the moment bit when I get home I'll take some pictures. I'm thinking cockerel too now because it keeps chasing around my silkie
hmm.png
Keep forgetting to ask...WTH is that chicken in your avatar doing?

Back
Top Bottom