My BO is acting ,,,,, happy but not eating now

I don't candle the eggs under my broodies, I just let her do her thing but that's just me. I have seen where people do candle, they do it at night to be less intrusive to the hen I think. I would wait until day 10 to candle. Oh, and remember broodies will get off the nest to eat, drink, and poo so don't panic, it's normal. Just make sure she gets on the right clutch of eggs!

Don't make the same mistake I did - Mark the eggs that she's sitting on now and remove any new ones. My broody was sitting on so many that none of them hatched. She just kept pushing out the old ones and broke a bunch. They can be really nasty when they are brooding. I just keep picking her up off the nest and taking her eggs away. She squawks for a while and then goes out to play with the others.

Since I didn't mark the eggs, I removed what I thought at first were the new ones. My mom got a big surprise when she went to fry some up...it wasn't pretty.
he.gif

She still talks about it and I felt and still feel horrible. MARK THE EGGS!!!!

If it helps with the visual, it was only a week or so old...but still very unpleasant.

Quote:
I will keep that in mind, thanks Cindy. I was fortunate with my first broody, I had her isolated where she couldn't get to more eggs and had her own food and waterer. But I have a BO trying to be broody right now and she keeps swapping nests. Thank goodness, I am home and collect eggs throughout the day. I also didn't have to mark the eggs she's on because they are from a different breed so the color is very different!

Both of my BOs are broody. I have tried to break Daisy, but today she was back at it with 4 eggs under her. Actually, I think she must have told everyone else to lay there for her to sit on them....because they never use that box. And, there she was, even the EEs did it for her and they don't sit there. So, I am going to buy some eggs for her this weekend. If they hatch fine, if not, maybe she will get over it.

Back
Top Bottom