My "broiler" chickens -pics-

They look absolutely beautiful and healthy!
smile.png
Good for you to take charge and do it your way to take care of them the way you did.

I'd also love to see more pics of them!

Those are some huge chickens. Even in their chick pic they look big. Just more to love. They remind me of a youtube video that I watched a couple weeks back. I think the video might of been called "Twin broiler roosters". It had two roos (probably are twins) that were walking around and they were huge and sort of had to waddle to get around. It's nice seeing the pictures since I haven't seen to many of the broiler chicken pictures.

Here's a few full body shots of Greta and George. As you can see they are still big birds with very large breasts, and short stocky bodies. Right now I'm basing their weight on how well I can feel their keel bone. I can clearly feel their keel bones, but they still have a layer of meat covering them that could be a bit thinner.
While they were growing I let them eat 18% growers feed to make sure they would develop properly. Once they stopped growing they did begin to put on weight, and that's when I reduced their feed to one cup each a day, and then on to a low protein layers pellet. They have lost weight in the month they've been on the layers pellet, and I'll give them a bit longer on this regimen and see how the meat covering their keel feels.
If they still need to lose weight, I'll reduce their food bit by bit, but I won't go any lower than what an average medium breed chicken consumes in a day. Right now their one cup of feed is roughly based on what an average heavy breed chicken would eat.

Here's Greta
gretaoutside.jpg

gretaoutside2.jpg

George
georgeoutside.jpg

georgeoutside2.jpg

And here's a couple of cute shots of them while they each had a dust bath.

gretadustbath.jpg

georgedustbath.jpg

georgeandgreta.jpg

You're doing a good job with those two girls and keeping their weight down! At the looks of it, you'd almost think they were regular ol white rocks! With a bit of a wider stance that is. At 5 months, they look to be a pair of girls.

LOL I'm laughing at myself, since George always had such a bigger comb and waddles than Greta I just really always assumed he was a roostie!!
Attack Chicken also thinks George looks like a girl, does anyone else think so too??
lol.png

His (or is it hers?) personality is also so different from Greta, he is louder, has more of a tendency to be moody, uses his voice a lot more. His feathers are different. I thought because they look and act different, that they must be a hen and rooster.
LOL, I have no experience to go on, maybe I should find some pics of roostie cornish cross.
Wait a minute--- could that explain why I just now caught him sitting and bustling around in Greta's nest box?!
lau.gif

That's too funny and now I have to find some cornish cross rooster pics.

It's great to see them leading normal chicken lives roaming around outside, and taking dust bathes. You can hardly tell that they are broilers.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom