My broody got on the wrong nest

My silkies can't tell the difference from the rain and sunshine. The other day we had horrible storms. I walked out... And they were running around in the sopping mud... Of course they are white. For two days, they looked awful. I had to manually put them out of the rain. All my other chickens flock to canopies... Not the stupid silkies... Cute and friendly though. And hatching machines...

Quote:
I have a silkie roo that would insist on spending the day standing in the duck pond up to his neck in water. ALL DAY! I finally moved him to the OEG pen. That idiot was gonna drown himself and he is a good lookin bird!

The eggs should be fine. I've seen posts about broodies getting locked away from the eggs for 4+ hours and they still hatch.
smile.png

Mine is not the brightest bulb in the bunch. And she was low in the pecking order before she went broody. I hope if the chicks hatch she'll be able to take care of them. Although she has done a pretty good job of defending her nest box.

I had my broody do that. I have no idea what kind of chicken she is
broody.jpg
but I hadn't collected eggs and she got confused when she came back. One was zipping when I discovered this, and she could have been off for a couple hours. It hatched fine a few hours later (I got her back on the right nest). This was a couple days ago - we've got a scattered hatching because of my novicity and she hatched another yesterday. After it hatched and I collected that one, she got confused again. She is down to 4 eggs - it was easier for her to know which was hers when she had such a large collection (15). The last 2 eggs I know are due Fri/Sat, so I'm crossing my fingers. She'd have another 7+ eggs if I hadn't marked them when I did. I fed her some left over baked eggs in cream a couple days ago because I feel bad she has been sitting so long - about 6 weeks.

I have a silkie roo that would insist on spending the day standing in the duck pond up to his neck in water. ALL DAY! I finally moved him to the OEG pen. That idiot was gonna drown himself and he is a good lookin bird!

I'm sorry, I was reading random threads and this made me laugh! I have just started with backyard chickens ( I grew up on a commercial chicken farm). I have decided I really like silkies. I have one and I plan on getting more on Friday. I didn't realize they are not all that bright...​

Quote:
I'm sorry, I was reading random threads and this made me laugh! I have just started with backyard chickens ( I grew up on a commercial chicken farm). I have decided I really like silkies. I have one and I plan on getting more on Friday. I didn't realize they are not all that bright...

They are great birds, just stupid. My advice to you with silkies is the keep plenty of room around the feeder and waterer (so they can't hang themselves), never keep anything deeper than 3 inches as a waterer (so they don't drown) and make sure to check random places for eggs.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I was reading random threads and this made me laugh! I have just started with backyard chickens ( I grew up on a commercial chicken farm). I have decided I really like silkies. I have one and I plan on getting more on Friday. I didn't realize they are not all that bright...

They are great birds, just stupid. My advice to you with silkies is the keep plenty of room around the feeder and waterer (so they can't hang themselves), never keep anything deeper than 3 inches as a waterer (so they don't drown) and make sure to check random places for eggs.

Yeah they need to come with a warning label-

Silkies are prone to suicide even in 2000$ predator proof pens, you have been warned...

Back
Top Bottom