1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Cackle experience

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gorman Farm, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Its been a while since I have posted. Some of you might remember that I ordered turkeys and some chickens from Cackle Hatchery.

So out of 20 turkeys ordered 16 arrived alive. I lost 2 more along the way. The others grew strong and healthy. I sold all the toms except one at Thanksgiving. I now have 6 hens and 1 Tom and I am hoping to continue with these. Bottom line the Narragansetts were heartier than the Royal Palms and I will continue with those God willing I will have eggs this spring. We ate one for the holiday and it was fabulous. They get big FAST. Our 6 month old tom was a hefty 28lbs of meat.

When I did a re-order to replace the dead turkey chicks I ended up ordering some chickens to make a complete order. I got a half dozen black sex link pullets and half a dozen Buff Orpington pullets.
    Well one of the Buffies was a rooster not a hen, incorrectly sexed...but good news is after having a previous bad rooster experience this guy is very sweet. One of the Buffie hens is so sweet she is like a lap dog and jumps on me for a scratch everyday.

Meanwhile a friend of mine from the dog rescue had a bad situation at her farm and one of the rescues got in her coop and killed several of her chickens so I gave her 2 blacks and 2 buffs to start over, she has since added a secondary fence around her coop.

So fast forward I went from getting 3 or 4 fresh eggs a day to getting 8 or more per day. I found a local person who comes weekly and buys 2-3 dozen fertilized eggs from me. Basically that pays for all the feed and bedding for the others which is nice.

Two of my older girls the EE's have stopped laying. I miss the colored eggs.

My red mixed hen got broody and I decided to let her sit, so she has 5 eggs under her one of her own and some from the other hens, I know one for sure if a Buffie. They should hatch in about 9/10 days this is my first attempt at letting a hen sit so we shall see how it turns out.

One thing I can say is that Turkeys are a lot messier than chickens, I have to clean their coop and run at least 3 x a week, I only have to do the chicken coop once a week.

BTW Happy New Year Everyone!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Turkey poop is certainly larger than chicken poop. Sounds like you are enjoying your birds. Happy New Year to you too.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by