My cat caught a baby bird Help!

well… actually birds are quite tough and although there’s a chance it won’t make it it still might. i’ve rehabilitated several birds with various injuries and they do make it quite often. i think it depends on the injuries it has and the species.
edit: not to start an argument
Yes, but the fact that the OP was asking about sugar water tells me they haven't done this before.

Yes, but the fact that the OP was asking about sugar water tells me they haven't done this before.
so? there’s a first for all of us. my first rescue survived. she had hit her head on a window so hard she forgot how to fly. released her within a month and she came back the next year. also that’s why i’m helping. regardless, let’s not start arguing on this thread.

google says it’s a Eurasian Tree Sparrow which eat seeds, fruit, and insects. im not sure. it might be a house sparrow but those have the same diet so i’d feed it some shelled sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, little bits of nuts, flies or other insects, small worms, etc.
3227A827-F993-4697-B37A-8B3673BABF6C.jpeg

Do you have anyone near you that raises birds ? Anything from ducks, quails, chickens, turkeys, or even parrots or budgies ? Or an SPCA that has a dept for birds ?

A feed store may be able to sell you chick food, but often it is a 50lb bag, so not a great format when you don't know if it will eat it.

I guess something like mealworms might be easiest to find in a small bag and I think all birds will welcome a bug snack. (local pet food store)

Please no sugar water, plain water in a bowl you place below the beak and raise the bowl to dip the tip of the beak in water. It will swallow what gets in the mouth, just don't go too fast, it can be worse to have too much water too fast if it is dehydrated.

If you have any poultry farms nearby it might be time to meet your neighbors (bring a smile and pictures of the baby, but don't drag h with you, we all worry about bird illnesses being brought into the house where it could infect our birds)

Thank you for trying, but don't scold Mouse... She has her nature too...

I won't just give up. I am not going to give him to my cat so she can kill him. If he does die with me then I will be glad that he died on his own than I didn't give him a chance and gave him to my cat to kill him. I am just not a give up type of person. I will try until I can't try anymore! I have nothing against you either. I am just saying

And he is doing much better he is opening up his eyes and flapping his wings. Just fed him a few worms and gave him some water. His wounds aren't bad at all. They're not deep. 😁 So I think he'll make it:fl
Edit: this is not an argument

Last edited:
Do you have anyone near you that raises birds ? Anything from ducks, quails, chickens, turkeys, or even parrots or budgies ? Or an SPCA that has a dept for birds ?

A feed store may be able to sell you chick food, but often it is a 50lb bag, so not a great format when you don't know if it will eat it.

I guess something like mealworms might be easiest to find in a small bag and I think all birds will welcome a bug snack. (local pet food store)

Please no sugar water, plain water in a bowl you place below the beak and raise the bowl to dip the tip of the beak in water. It will swallow what gets in the mouth, just don't go too fast, it can be worse to have too much water too fast if it is dehydrated.

If you have any poultry farms nearby it might be time to meet your neighbors (bring a smile and pictures of the baby, but don't drag h with you, we all worry about bird illnesses being brought into the house where it could infect our birds)

Thank you for trying, but don't scold Mouse... She has her nature too...
I won't scold mouse I know that cats hunt and that's just instinct 😁

I was walking outside looking for some medicine when I noticed 1 of my cats was staring at something on the ground I walked over and thought it was a mouse. I moved my cat( her name is mouse) and saw that it was actually a baby bird. I picked it up and it kicked it's legs. The only blood visible is on both wings. It's still breathing and I have it under a heat lamp. Can I give it anything? Sugar water?
Edit: I just found a hole on its back. Must be a puncture wound From mouse carrying Hi. Have you looked for a wildlife rehabbed near you? They do amazing work and are trained to provide the proper care.

I was walking outside looking for some medicine when I noticed 1 of my cats was staring at something on the ground I walked over and thought it was a mouse. I moved my cat( her name is mouse) and saw that it was actually a baby bird. I picked it up and it kicked it's legs. The only blood visible is on both wings. It's still breathing and I have it under a heat lamp. Can I give it anything? Sugar water?
Edit: I just found a hole on its back. Must be a puncture wound From mouse carrying it
Darn. I keep trying to post but it disappears. Have you looked for a wildlife rehabber near you? Wrens, bunnies, hawks, opossum- I take something to our rehabber every year. They are trained and prepared no matter what I show up with for them. A licensed rehabbed might be better equipped for this than you. However, I think you are awesome for trying. Good luck and God bless.

Darn. I keep trying to post but it disappears. Have you looked for a wildlife rehabber near you? Wrens, bunnies, hawks, opossum- I take something to our rehabber every year. They are trained and prepared no matter what I show up with for them. A licensed rehabbed might be better equipped for this than you. However, I think you are awesome for trying. Good luck and God bless.
Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I haven't looked for a wildlife rehabber yet. But so far so good we made him a little nest inside and he is doing great. I just whistle a little bit and right away he'll open his mouth and start chirping for a worm❤

Back
Top Bottom