My cat is miserable...

cozycritters

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
My cat is half bengal, a ferocious hunter of all things moving, about 6 months old, and is, frankly, miserable.

She's an indoor kitty and we try to give her attention, but what she wants is to be outside hunting things. We're getting her spayed soon, but this is *not* a good area to let cats go outside, plus, she even goes after my goats, so it's not good for the backyard barnyard.

I keep hoping she'll settle down as she gets older... but part of me doesn't believe it. I hate that she's miserable all the time and don't have a clue what to do about it. I'm also worried that my new baby (due August) will become a new target as she jumps onto my two year old all of the time and tries to 'eat' him.

Anyone with experience with this breed that has any advice?

I know how you feel. I have always intened to have my cats indoors. But about 6 months old I put them outside. The first one was all over the place. So we decieded to let him outside. He loves it. Now with the new kitty, she is lov'n the outdoors. I use a fishing pole with a bass worm. She loves it. Both cats come indoors and sleep.
july432.jpg

My older cat jumps all over us also. Not to hurt, but to play.

Last edited:
ahhh.. bengals.... the one breed I first wanted - before I read how needy they were, and that they preferred being outside to in.
hmm.png
I was so afraid of my cat getting hit by a car. We went with a Norwegian Forest Cat instead.

Beautiful cats the bengals but yes, they are a handful sometimes and require LOTS of playtime and attention and they love to climb.

You can read about thier behavioral patterns and whatnot on the Cat fanciers Association or just google the breed to learn more.

Good luck

I have a friend who breeds and raises these gorgeous cats. I can call him and ask him how they settle these little balls of ferocious fluff.
I go over there just to play with all the kittens!

You might make a kitty run, similar to a chicken run if you're concerned about the cat's safety. Not the best solution, but better than cooped up inside all the time.

I also suggest a kitty run ,
Also a tape on tv of bids ect from like animal planet
Lots of playtime envovleing chaseing ect
You could even try to leash train him (use a harness nota coller) they can have a lot of fun outdoors taht way and everything and one is safe
smile.png
it usually takes lots of work to coax a cat into letting you let them walk you outside, just remmber they arent dogs you cant drag them around its more of a go find a good spot and let them have a long lead to explore .

I had a Manx that was wild as can be about wanting out and playing. I finally decided to let her out to play on the roof! She had a nice air castle and didn't mind a bit!

Quote:
I have a friend that has a beautiful cat-run. It's attached to the house at a window with a kitty-door. It has different levels of shelves - long ones that go the perimeter of the enclosure by the ceiling, heated cat beds(!), and bird feeders outside for entertainment. With some creative energy, the run can be a nice addition to the house. A lot to go through, but my friend's cats are quite content and safe.

We have 6 cats that are all allowed outside. Our predators include foxes, skunks, coyotes and the occasional stray dog. It's been 6 years and the only one that went missing was one that got fat. They climb the deck and run under pallets. It would be impossible to keep them in the house.

Beautiful cat.

Back
Top Bottom