My Chick is not walking properly

rukayasophia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
I have a three day old chick then is walking funny. It is the same size and the other chicks, there was no problems with its hatching and it was born on the 21st day. It has its legs spread open and its kind of just waddling along. Its been like this since it was born and I don't know what do to. Help?!?!?!?!

It's been 2 hours now and she's stopped eating and drinking. I'm hand feeding her and I'm drip dropping water into her beak. Please someone reply!!!

When I first started out hatching chicks I used band aids cut in half length wise. The space you want to leave in between the legs is the space of the cloth on the band aid. I now use sports cloth. It is easier to handle & get off, The flooring should give the babes some traction so they have a better grip. news paper is too slippery. I like wee wee pads since I already have them for my Chihuahuas. They are absorbent & chicks don't slip. Mine walk fine with in two days. Good luck

My chicks are having this same issue, 2 of them. Bracing dose not seem to help. When do you give up and cull?

Ask yourself this.... Are they just a bit wobbly and wonky? Or are their legs so effected that they can't eat and drink properly? If they are only wobbly, give it time. It may improve. As long as they can eat and drink properly, I say let them live. If, however, they can't get the nourishment they need, I would cull. Starvation is a slow and painful death that I couldn't wish on those little darlings.

Try spacing legs a little further apart & see if that helps. I actually once put chick in muffin tin with shelf liner on bottom & a little food to stop it from tipping over & getting stepped on. I would dip beak in water several times a day. After two days with legs taped in tin it had better balance to take out of tin but I left the legs taped for three more days. It was walking fine by one week old

Try spacing legs a little further apart & see if that helps. I actually once put chick in muffin tin with shelf liner on bottom & a little food to stop it from tipping over & getting stepped on. I would dip beak in water several times a day. After two days with legs taped in tin it had better balance to take out of tin but I left the legs taped for three more days. It was walking fine by one week old
thumbsup.gif
Don't make the mistake I did. I tape my little d'Uccles legs, last week and it hoppled over to the waterer and fell and drowned in a quail water.
hit.gif

The are both not eating well, their leg was ticking straight out. They are not eating and one will just lay with its legs stuck behind it like super man. They don't eat, I give them water with a dropper. They are acting like its painful for their legs to touch the ground. I don't know if I can handle culling. Day said he would build them wheelchairs.

Back
Top Bottom