My Chick Won’t Let Me Clean Her Pasty Butt

tiawieclaw

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
I have a chick that has a little bit of pasty butt and I have been cleaning her and watching her and when i clean her she won’t hold still so I can’t get all the poop off. Eventually she just pooped on me but there is still a little gunk on her butt. It doesn’t cover her vent and since i got her to poop is it ok to let it be? I don’t want to stress her out too much. Any information helps!

If the residue is near the vent it will gather more poop and become a problem. Grasp the chick over the back with your fingers under her belly. Hold firmly but not so tight you hurt the chick. Turn your hand over. Wet your other hand with luke warm water and rub the spot between your fingers until it comes off.

If the residue is near the vent it will gather more poop and become a problem. Grasp the chick over the back with your fingers under her belly. Hold firmly but not so tight you hurt the chick. Turn your hand over. Wet your other hand with luke warm water and rub the spot between your fingers until it comes off.
thank you! i will try this.

Great! Just saying, your chick might get sores depending on how you cleaned the pasty butt. I suggest putting some Vaseline on it :)
do i keep it off the pink part only put it on a bit of the surrounding fluff? also i have heard mixed opinions on using stuff on their butts, is it safe? thanks so much!

I found vaseline helpful on the bum of a chick that had stubborn pasty butt. The thing that finally solved my chick's problem was doing away with artificial lighting and switching to a (diy) mama heating pad.

Back
Top Bottom